Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2011, 04:11 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Renkus Heinz SSD 3301 2" compression drivers?

Hey guy's!

I have been a member here for some time. I have enjoyed reading here but really haven't posted much.

I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the Renkus Heinz SSD 3301 2" compression drivers. I have 3 three of them (badged Rauland) that are mounted on Community horns and were part of a church sound system. I've had them for quite some time now and was curious to know if any of you had tried to work them into a two way. Also, if they were worth the effort to do so sound wise.

I've dabbled around in speaker DIY using mostly JBL, Altec, B&C etc. compression drivers but never with anything from Renkus. Spotty info. on them out there but I did locate spec. sheets.

Any thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks, RC
Old 30th June 2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've used them in music PA and liked them a lot. They don't show up much, but I think they should.

IIRC, Renkus Heinz is descended from or related to Altec/Radian/Emilar I think Bear would know.
Old 30th June 2011, 04:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
I've used them in music PA and liked them a lot. They don't show up much, but I think they should.

IIRC, Renkus Heinz is descended from or related to Altec/Radian/Emilar I think Bear would know.

I have been told that also in one form or another.

They have a pair over on the Jammin Jersey site and are asking a goodly amount of money for them. I usually don't take much stock in their pricing because it's usually a bit high. The only thing I could glean from that is that they must still held in reasonable regard to some.

Seeing that made me think that maybe a guy should play around with them a bit instead of just tripping over them periodically

Embarrassing to admit, but I have never really heard them. I did loan them out to a friend last fall. He was looking for a "PA" system to play music outdoors at a work function. I set him up with the 3301/Community horns with JBL E145's in 5 cu-ft, tuned Caberet cabs and a pair of Altec N 801-8A networks. It was a slap together system just to fill the need.

Certainly not a fine tuned speaker set-up even for that venue, but he said that it performed surprisingly well considering the hodge podge throw together and was pretty impressed.

Even on the right horn, I'm not sure if they have the chops for great HiFi but I'd sure like to find out.

RC
Old 30th June 2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yes, please let us know what you find! There are many who love Radian and Emilar for serious HIFI, so why not Renkus-Heinz?
Old 1st July 2011, 01:31 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of Renkus Heinz 3301 drivers matched up with Altec 416 woofers. They sound great.

Here's more info on my setup if you're interested:

An Altec quasi-Valencia foray - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Old 1st July 2011, 02:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You know, I remember reading your the thread you started on your speakers when you first started it but never followed up. I must have missed the part about them being large format and assumed that they were 1" 1800's or similar because of the horn size.

How are you liking them?
Old 1st July 2011, 03:00 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I definitely have the 2" drivers. As far as the sound, they handily beat any other speaker I've had or currently own (current speakers: Crites-upgraded Klipsch Forte II, JBL L100, past speakers: Tekton with 6" Fostex, IMF transmission line monitors, etc).

Very good imaging, excellent midrange and top end. They're open and bright without sibilance. and extremely realistic. They're direct like LaScalas that I recently listened to, but with better imaging. Definitely big and engaging sound.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:11 PM   #8
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

At 2" they will be beaming up high so you must be in the "Sweet spot", outside that spot will have serious HF loss, no?

I have 2" CDs from JBL, BMS and TAD Im about to try out so Im always curious about the performance of other 2" CDs.
Old 1st July 2011, 03:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansei View Post
I definitely have the 2" drivers. As far as the sound, they handily beat any other speaker I've had or currently own (current speakers: Crites-upgraded Klipsch Forte II, JBL L100, past speakers: Tekton with 6" Fostex, IMF transmission line monitors, etc).

Very good imaging, excellent midrange and top end. They're open and bright without sibilance. and extremely realistic. They're direct like LaScalas that I recently listened to, but with better imaging. Definitely big and engaging sound.

That great to hear! I'm looking forward to playing around with them a bit.

I have no idea why I just left these shelved for so long without checking into them further. Sounds like they may prove interesting now.

RC
Old 1st July 2011, 03:28 PM   #10
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

I will buy them if the price is right I always love trying new CDs!!

Hide this!Advertise here!