Upside down port error!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2003, 10:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Upside down port error!!!

I am building a pair of Scan Speak reference monitors and I managed (don't know how!!!) to glue and screw the back panel of the speaker upside down. That is with the port looking down and the speaker terminals looking up to the top of the back panel. The other speaker was glued with the correct orientation. So you can figure out my question:

Will this error effect the sound or not? Unfortunately I can only remedy the problem by building another speaker cabinet but this is serious work that will take some time. I have put so much effort in this project that I would like to keep it as it is at the moment if possible.

Thank you all
(please make my day)

George
Old 19th August 2003, 10:42 AM   #2
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The internal volume remains the same, as does the internal cabinet angles/dimensions I assume (for standing waves).

As long as the new port position isn't interfering with the rear of the driver etc. I don't see any problems other than aesthetics.

If it were me, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing one panel was upside down, but if you don't have that concern then you're all the better off for it.
Old 19th August 2003, 02:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe it can be fixed by applying some plastic cement (or something else) to make the vent hole like a terminal hole and the terminal hole the size of vent hole.

After this it has to be fixed aesthetically of course, but you simply cant have it upside down
Old 19th August 2003, 07:44 PM   #4
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

I would do an A/B listening test on the speakers, and whatever speaker sounds better keep. Perhaps it sounds better upside down, and you never would have found out had you not made that mistake. Measurement is even better. You might get lucky.

Pete
Old 20th August 2003, 02:56 AM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

This is the back panel, right? Exactly how many people do you think are going to see it?

For the very few who might notice and ask questions, just tell them, " I had a pair just like these but I sold them for $4,000".
Old 21st August 2003, 05:08 PM   #6
cm961 is offline cm961  Canada
diyAudio Member

You could just tell people that the different port location enhances the stereo image... People generally believe what other people say. I have a lot of fun with that.

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!