Need help with midwoofer choice for 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Im looking for a 6.5" midwoofer with decent efficiency for a 2-way in sealed cab with subwoofer. I was contemplating the 18 Sound 6ND430 until I saw the frequency response from Zaph's tests:

Zaph|Audio

The efficiency drops very quickly from 200hz down. Am I right to assume that after BSC efficiency will be in the low 80's?

The Tang Band W6-1721 on the same page looks like it will achieve much better sensitivity (due to the 100-200hz hump negating need for BSC) with higher xmax, lower Fs. Its also about half the cost of the 6ND430.

Am I looking at this correctly? Is the TB a better choice here?

Im looking for a 6.5" midwoofer with decent efficiency for a 2-way in sealed cab with subwoofer. I was contemplating the 18 Sound 6ND430 until I saw the frequency response from Zaph's tests:

Zaph|Audio

The efficiency drops very quickly from 200hz down. Am I right to assume that after BSC efficiency will be in the low 80's?

The Tang Band W6-1721 on the same page looks like it will achieve much better sensitivity (due to the 100-200hz hump negating need for BSC) with higher xmax, lower Fs. Its also about half the cost of the 6ND430.

Am I looking at this correctly? Is the TB a better choice here?

The 18Sound is more of a midrange than a woofer, BUT if crossed over to a sub high enough (130-150hz) it should retain it's efficiency. A sealed box is tough here and with BSC, let's say 1/2 then we're talking 89-90db efficiency. You want higher efficiency, look 8" or larger pro woofer or multiple 6.5"s. No real sealed box bass performance from any of these until 12" but.......

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
The 18Sound is more of a midrange than a woofer, BUT if crossed over to a sub high enough (130-150hz) it should retain it's efficiency. A sealed box is tough here and with BSC, let's say 1/2 then we're talking 89-90db efficiency. You want higher efficiency, look 8" or larger pro woofer or multiple 6.5"s. No real sealed box bass performance from any of these until 12" but.......

Id be happy with 89db of sensitivity, however won't I have some pretty severe localisation issues with the sub at 150hz crossover? Sub will not be sitting between the speakers.

Got burnt spending lots of money on a very well regarded B&C 10inch woofer and feel hesitant to try anything bigger than 6.5". I want to ensure I get a clean midrange at the expense of some efficiency.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Yep ive been looking closely at the SB17. Above average efficiency and the high QTS, models nicely in a 15 litre sealed cabinet, should blend nicely with the sub.

CSD plot isnt up there with the best though. Any of you guys had experience with these drivers?

Ok not larger than 6.5" but read this : 5 July 2011

If you want a good sound, not to be disappointed, buy a hi end driver ? Don't hesitate to pay a good quality ? scan-speak, seas, accuton, audio technology, Focal etc.
SEAS seems to me the best price quality ratio. They have a large panel of 6.5". The excel driver sounds very good, you will be not disappointed. Don't waist your time with SB or Tangbang, the price is lower but the quality is not as good.
The 6N430 is a good driver for midrange if you do not want to pay more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.