Advice on modifying bookshelf speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of grundig M8C bookshelf speakers that I got for free that I plan on using as monitor speakers my home studio that I'm (slowly) setting up. Currently I'm monitoring on a pair of pioneer bookshelf speakers, but I need somthing better (read: flatter freqency response).

Currently the grundigs have the input wired straight across the woffer(5" 40w) then through two 10uf electrolytic caps back to back and across the cone tweeter(2" 15w), which is mounted on a plastic frame that allows it to be swivled left and up, centered or right and down, and then across a small pizeo disk that doesnt seem to do much(sticking a finger across it does nothing audible to the sound, even when listning to white noise)
The woofer encolsure is constructed from 9mm mdf and is 208mm deep * 169mm wide * 356mm high internal. The woffer cabinet has a port in it which is 43mm diamiter at the open end and is 103mm deep. I can't mesure the diamiter of the inside of the port.

My first thoughts were,
-Replace pizeo plate with a 1" dome.
-Stuff some fibreglass into the woffer enclosure.
-Glue that F****** annoying peice of plastic that supports the 2" still. (It rattles.)
-Bi/Tri amp the whole setup.
-Possibly replace the 2" cone with a 2" dome.

So that is what I am planning so far, can anyone else add any suggestions? (Bearing in mind that I'm after flattest freqency response over anything else, that the speakers will rarely be pushed, and that I will be sitting in one postion in front of them all the time.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.