Crossover or not.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a few drivers hanging around and would like to build some speakers. The first is a Motorola KSN1005 like this one CTS / Motorola KSN-1005 Flush Mount Piezo Electric Super Horn Tweeter</font>

The other is a Pioneer B20FU20-54F like this one Pioneer B20FU20-54F 8" Heavy Duty Woofer

The woofers came out a of a cabinet that ran them full range (with a piezo wired to them).....the piezos were in another cabinet wired from it's woofer with no crossover or anything. I want to build a sealed cabinet for the woofer and the piezo mounted OB on top. I think the woofers would be better with some sort of network would they not? I have also read many opinions on what to do with these tweeters (L-pad, 50ohm 3W resistor, sometimes nothing)......any ideas there?

I have tried to use software and calculators to come up with something but they need to dumb those things down for this guy to use them

Piezo tweeters have high impedance... often a 5-10 ohm resister is put in line with them to protect them, other than that they are so resistive of low frequency that they do not need a cap to protect or roll them off. Try letting both the drivers run full range with no crossover and let your ears guide you. You may be able to get away with nothing or maybe a coil to take the woofer out after 2k or so. Remember that a coil on the woofer is going to act at 6db per octave so even if you use a .64 coil with an 8 ohm driver the charts will give you a crossover point of 2khz... there will still be a fair amount of output an octave above i.e. 4khz. I your tweeter is just getting started around 2.5khz you may have a good match.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.