drivers for a 3 way system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi , this is my first post here so please be kind , i dont have much technical knowledge for diy , but i know how to solder . My plan is to build a 3 way system using a active crossover like minidsp , i have 3 amps : 2-150wrms and 1-50wrms for tweeters.i have a 12" 400wrms self powered subwoofer, the space to put the speakers is limited so i can noly use a 8,5"woofer.Are these good choices ?

the drivers i was thinking are :

woofer : Scan-Speak 22W/4534G00 8.5"
22W/4534G00 - Scan-Speak 8,5 inch woofer fibre glass cone - Europe Audio
Europe Audio

midrange: Scan Speak Discovery 5¼” Midrange
15M/4624G00 - Scan Speak Discovery 5¼” Midrange - Europe Audio
Europe Audio

tweeter: Scan-Speak D2608/913000 1"
D2608/913000 - Scan-Speak 1 inch dome tweeter fabric diaphragm - Europe Audio
Europe Audio

i found this project , the box is perfect for the space i have to put the speakers but i would like to make driver changes:

3-Way Classic

woofer : Scan-Speak 22W/4534G00 8.5"
22W/4534G00 - Scan-Speak 8,5 inch woofer fibre glass cone - Europe Audio
Europe Audio

Scan-Speak 10F/4424G00
10F/4424G00 - Scan-Speak 4 inch wideband coated fiberglass - Europe Audio
Europe Audio

Europe Audio

Europe Audio

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Filipe, you are on the right track to look at proven designs, and especially if they are by Troles.

However you would be best to stick to that design rather than try and change to drivers of your choosing. Trying to design your own 3 way speaker from scratch (which is effectively what you would be doing if you change the drivers of an existing design) when you have no prior experience is asking for trouble in my opinion.

Without in depth knowledge (which can be gained with time) measuring equipment and a bit of luck, you are destined to be disappointed.

just my 2c worth :)

Tony.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Filipe, I don't have experience with using dsp's perhaps that will be different, but I have read that designing an active speaker can be just as difficult (or more difficult) as designing a passive system.

It seems like all that we have to do is tweak a few knobs and get the perfect response, but I think that in reality it isn't that simple. I could be wrong of course :)

One thing though. if you want to use an existing cabinet, you would be best off at least sticking with the same bass drivers. The require tuning of the box will vary from driver to driver, especially if it is a vented design!

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.