5 Way Crossover design *HELP!* - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question 5 Way Crossover design *HELP!*

I have a pair of Infinity Reference Standard II's and I want to build new crossovers since they are over 30 years old and I am sure the electrolytes have dried up long ago. The crossover points are 60, 125, 1500, and 3000 Hz and all seven drivers are 4 ohm. I am looking to build a second order Butterworth 5 way crossover, unless of course someone can talk me into some other route. Replacing the caps is not an option. (Anyone know where I can get a 1600uF 100VNP 85C metalized polypropylene cap? Me neither.)
Old 19th June 2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thread moved to Multi-Way
Old 19th June 2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Geez, that looks like fun. You can always parallel some caps to get the value you need.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 9.49.04 AM.png (155.7 KB, 189 views)
Old 19th June 2011, 06:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you Cal-Your version includes the 600uF cap that Infinity Systems omitted in the drawing that they sent me. Would metalized Polypropylene caps be the way to go?
Old 19th June 2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I am not the person to ask as I use all sorts in my XO's including the ones "they say" you're not supposed to. Especially the larger value ones.
Old 19th June 2011, 07:22 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Any chance you could use something like this or is this polarized? I don't know these things I just googled 1600 mfd caps.

MALLORY CGS162T400X4C3PH CGS 1600 MFD 400 VDC CAPACITOR | eBay
Old 20th June 2011, 12:53 AM   #7
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd also parallel some electrolytics for that large one. I'd try to use the same type/value together. The other option would be an active crossover at that low point.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. The low end doesn't have much work to do. To find out why, the 18" sub here takes care of things:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4765[/URL]
Old 20th June 2011, 06:31 AM   #9
T101 is offline T101  Bulgaria
diyAudio Member

Infinity Reference Standard II B and II A Loudspeakers

Let me say, that I am a little skeptical about the outcome of altering the crossover of these.
For instance, you could see that the two outer mids are crossed lower and the inner is crossed higher, thus forming a sound column, but also mimicking one single driver that has one single acoustic center. Every driver will narrow it's emitting surface (diameter) as the frequency rises.

In the link above, you will find the schematics for the bass equalizing unit if you do not have one.

A pair of these and a whole day listening session were one of the reasons for the ignition of my interest in this hobby. They were bi amped with a 500W Krell and a 500W Accuphase with Accuphase tube preamp... For the next year and a half or so, I was approaching the owner with various offers about the whole system, he never agreed to sell even though he is a professional audio equipment seller and those were in his showroom. the components even had a price tags, but he said that he'll sell when he gets better system... five years later, he still haven't sold these

In addition, they are quazy acoustic suspension as the bass cabinet is ported with a port against the floor, so it is some sort of aperiodic enclosure.

From the crossover diagram Cal posted, it seems that the woofers have considerable coil inductance and considerable equivalent capacitance of the suspension and moving assembly. If you model a high mass, low QTS, low Fs, high Qms woofer with considerable Le in a software such as Bass Box, you'll find out that ordinary second order crossovers will induce or might induce a resonance peak at the crossover frequency and another resonance peak is possible several octaves above. I suppose that the top woofer circuit is designed to handle those issues - 5Mh+1,8Mh+125mf all shorted by Re and Le of the top woofer
Not to mention that both woofers in parallel with single crossover would produce allot more midbass than desired.

If I were you, I would restore the original crossover and obtain or build the bass eq unit if I didn't have one.

Also, those have a stated 25hz-25khz range and 29hz-25khz @+/- 2 db... Your 18 inch woofer might be loud, but does it do 25-29 hz @ -2 db?

Best Regards!

Last edited by T101; 20th June 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I do not own either of the systems you have in your link- I have the original RS II's- not II A or II B. Also, I run the sub through an Audio Source Richter Scale active crossover. Using a spectrum analyzer I flattened the response all the way down to 21hz.

Hide this!Advertise here!