Can you gentlemen help me design a Zobel circuit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is what I got... Luckily I can always return it :)

I am replacing the crossover and drivers in my Mission speakers. I have purchased the Dayton 8" series II woofers for the task. They have an L(e) rating of 1.3 They will be wired in parallel.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/lspeakers/images/lspeakers-st210-8_295-100.pdf

I am replacing the Dome tweeter with a full size Heil, crossed over @ 2000HZ. I have purchaced the Dayton 2 way crossover as well. I know it's not going to be perfect out of the box. I will be adding a 4 ohm 10 watt resistor to the positive lead of the Heil to raise the impedance to 8 ohms and take it down a few decibels, which is what the Dayton crossover tweeter output is rated at. The woofer output is adjustable ( 4 or 8 Ohms) , and I am selecting 4 ohms. I am potentially adding a L pad to the circuit as well between the crossover and the Heil to adjust the output of the Heil.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I want to add a Zobel circuit on the woofer circuit to flatten things out. I am not sure how wiring two speakers together in parallel effect L(e), so I don't know how to calculate it. Can you guys lend me some advice.

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

Well, with the Dayton crossover you are essentially putting a Ford Fiesta engine into a BMW body. It will be a waste of time and money.

It is a good idea to return it and do your own.

Let's start over, but please read this link first and then you will be much better armed to get to where you want to be.

Everything you need to know about making a crossover is right there. Well, at least the basics.

I don't know what will happen with your intended driver selection. You can model it in some of the free programs or even some of the more expensive programs, but it won't give you very good results. You need to test those speakers and get the T/S constants yourself, first. Then you can intelligently design a crossover that gets the value out of the Heil AMT and the woofer.

Attachments

• 2xDayton210-8-Zobel.GIF
    2xDayton210-8-Zobel.GIF
    40.1 KB · Views: 109
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.