Too much speaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My listening spot is 9' from front of speakers in a 21' x 12' room (speakers on the long side). At the moment I use two-way speakers with Scan-Speak drivers (mid/woofer is 7" 18W/8531G) and they sound very good.

I've been wondering if a three-way speaker using, say, a 12" woofer with midrange (perhaps 5") and tweeter would be too much speaker for the room size and location. I'm not looking for extra loudness but thought perhaps a three-way might give even more definition, clarity, etc. than a two-way?

What do you think?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My system is Onken based with 16" woofers, JBL 2440 drivers on 2311 horns, with 2402 annular ring horn tweeters, the Onkens are nearly 12 cu ft volume, and my room is almost exactly the same size as yours, rather low ceiling at little over 7 feet. Works extraordinarily well for me.. Noting of course that my system uses controlled directivity on the mids and highs and the woofers are undoubtedly beaming at 800Hz where they cross to the 2440s..

The small room does mean you need to pay attention to directivity if you want good imaging, but the Japanese have been cramming monster high efficiency systems into rather small rooms for decades. (Look at any MJ if you can get your hands on a copy) Mine actually is conceptually similar even if my goals are different.

I'm not looking for extra loudness but thought perhaps a three-way might give even more definition, clarity, etc. than a two-way?

Maybe a 2.5 way with the 18W8531 as reduces the load / excursion on the mid-woofer and the difference is significant. I run mine in sealed down to 55Hz and assisted by a vented M22WR as a 0.5 woofer down to 30Hz. The mids on the 18W8531 are so much better by removing low bass duties (compared when I was running it down to 35Hz in a vented design).

2.5 way with 18W8531

Another item for thought and read the part on removing low bass duty on the 18W8531.
Jensen-

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.