dipole monopole or? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2011, 08:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default dipole monopole or?

I have bought 8 pcs of 10" peerless LF drivers 830638 (unknown T/S parameters), and I have 2 pcs. of Mark Audio CPH-70 Gold and 2-way MiniDSP setup.

I plan to make som kind of open baffle, but there are so many concepts around, that it's hard to choose.

I have som design criterias, and I hope you guys can help me narrow the posiibilitis a bit.

Criterias:
1: Fairly deep destincy bass - no boomy bass. I have 4 LF drivers per speaker because I want bass that is of high quality, not because I want high SPL.
2: Fairly small form factor - not too deep (max 40 cm.) and not too tall (max 1 meter)
3: Wide perspective (omni?). I don't sit and listend in my favorite chair anymore, so no ego speakers.
4: Speakers will have maximum 30-40 cm from walls, some kind of corner solution could be ok.

My thought are to use the Mark Audio driver in omni configuration firing upwards and spread the sound waves with a cone. I guess x-over point should be somewhere around 200-300 Hz.

Any help will be much appreciated

Last edited by Kjeldsen; 14th June 2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: forgot one criteria
Old 14th June 2011, 12:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You should be able to get some really low and nice and clean sounding bass with those drivers in a dipole configuration.
You should give this thread a good read over in case you haven't done so already,

Hybrid ESL bass, is there such a thing as a dipol kick in the chest?

jer
Old 14th June 2011, 12:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks - didn't come across that one, but a lot of others have been read the last 2 years. I will se if I can make som drawings to visualize some of my ideas.
Old 14th June 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

This is one design I love, but I haven't got a clue how it works.
Forsman AS - Produkter
Old 14th June 2011, 02:04 PM   #5
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Forsman speakers are very interesting! I like the Karlson-style front.
Old 14th June 2011, 03:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

If I choose pure dipole (more or less classic OB) how do i get the "eight" response characteristic as fat/wide as possible (remember I want as wide a spread of the music as possible, so I want to eliminate a narrow sweet spot)
Old 17th June 2011, 09:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Good link here i think

any compromises in using Linkwitz W-frame dipole?

I will draw my listening room and speaker position, hope to get just a few concepts to choose from this way.
Old 17th June 2011, 09:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default living room

here is my living room. The TV set has it's own speakers, so main speaker are for music only. The couch is not the listening position, but there should be some bass. I will probably sit in the dipole null. Should I make the subs (<200 Hz) individual from main speakers in order to be able to change positioning (for optimum sound in most of the room). Main listening position will be in front of the speakers. The big door is always open (to the next room - it's too rooms in conjunction)

Jpeg stue.jpg
Old 17th June 2011, 10:04 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

good link as well i think

Dipole-offset
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

much help here!! I gues I have to build a flexible prototype, so I can try different OB types.

Hide this!Advertise here!