Beach GhettoBlaster

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok off the rip im gonna let you know that im new into home audio drivers and stuff... Im experienced at building projects off schematics and stuff so im not worried about wiring anything up..

Now lets get to business.. I've read through the forums and didn't really like any of the response so im gonna ask for some advice.. I wanna build a ghetto blaster.. its mainly going to be used for the beach and cookouts.. so it has to be loud and durable.. I want it to be small but weight doesnt really matter.. im not gonna really be caring it around.. And most of all cheap.. I'm gonna be around alot of people and stuff so i don't want to dump alot of money into and then someone knocks it over and i'm out of alot of cash..

I need help with High efficient drivers, amp, stuff like that

any ideas please cus im lost lol

Hello Cold21blooded...

I don't have much experience with this either but I think a starting place you might want to consider is something built by a friend of mine...

He simply built a cheap car stereo and two 6 X 9 car stereo speakers into a box and powered it by a car battery. Cost him about $100 (not including the battery) and made plenty of cheap music! :D

ive built 2 GhettoBlasters, my recommendations are,

speakers:

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=150&products_id=843

amp :

Amazon.com: Sonic Impact 5066 15-Watt Portable Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier: Electronics

or ive never tried this but it looks identical???????

Dayton Audio DTA-1 Class T Digital AC/DC Amplifier 15 Watts Per Channel - Parts Express

power:

UB1270 12V 7Ah Sealed Lead Acid SLA AGM Battery | eBay

in a 7"x7"x 20"sealed box, it gets plenty loud, runs for 8+ hours on a full charge, but the thing that REALLY surprised me, was the HUGE amount of bass it pumps out.

buy the parts and build it,

if you dont LOVE it ill buy all the parts from you for 90% of prices posted here :)

^that is how confident i am in the sound/performance of it.

build it so you have a metal grill over the speakers, and everything else, battery,amp and i pod inside.

no one can damage anything.

turn it on, hit 'play' and walk away and boogie......

Last edited:
alright so this is what im thinking about going with after some research

amp

Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier

drivers

2x Dayton Audio PA165-8 6" PA Driver

tweeters ( not sure if im gonna use tweeters yet any suggestions?)

2x Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter

then crossover if tweeters are used

Dayton Audio XO2W-2K 2-Way Crossover 2,000 Hz

i dont know if i want to use tweeters cus the crossover and the tweeters are gonna take it outta my price range.. what you guys think

A poster (Ludo) who frequents the Parts Express forum (not sure if he posts here) has built several "boom boxes" similar to what you describe, using the following principle:
Amps will be autosound amps
Power is via Batteries (one or two large lithium ion I think). See first pic, black thing at extreme left.
Use an autosound head for CD plus input for Ipod or other audio signal
Put everything in to a Goldwood carpeted subwoofer box (also available at Parts Express).

For instance here are a couple of pics of his latest system for some ideas on the concept:

obj472geo386pg14p13.png

obj471geo263pg14p13.png

This system has a single subwoofer plus MTM side channels. Sounded pretty nice. He makes these for his son to take on biking trips or for backyard parties.

-Charlie

A poster (Ludo) who frequents the Parts Express forum (not sure if he posts here) has built several "boom boxes" similar to what you describe, using the following principle:
Amps will be autosound amps
Power is via Batteries (one or two large lithium ion I think). See first pic, black thing at extreme left.
Use an autosound head for CD plus input for Ipod or other audio signal
Put everything in to a Goldwood carpeted subwoofer box (also available at Parts Express).

For instance here are a couple of pics of his latest system for some ideas on the concept:

obj472geo386pg14p13.png

obj471geo263pg14p13.png

This system has a single subwoofer plus MTM side channels. Sounded pretty nice. He makes these for his son to take on biking trips or for backyard parties.

-Charlie

that is a nice setup.. i am looking for something like that just smaller... the more i look at stuff the more my mind changes.. what if i did a mono setup and just ran a sub, mid and tweet.. i am gonna be outside so it doesnt have to be audiophile quality because im not in a audiophile setting.. and it would cut my cost in half lol any disadvantages to this??

From a sound standpoint, mono's OK, as you're not going to get a lot of separation if speakers are just a foot apart. Big disadvantage to a mono setup is you're only using half your amplifier, so if you're looking for volume, not necessarily the best idea.

If you can find a small dual-coil woofer, you could blend L+R to mono, and ues both channels for bass and just one for the mids/tweeter, as they don't use all that mich power compared to the bass.

--Buckapound

From a sound standpoint, mono's OK, as you're not going to get a lot of separation if speakers are just a foot apart. Big disadvantage to a mono setup is you're only using half your amplifier, so if you're looking for volume, not necessarily the best idea.

If you can find a small dual-coil woofer, you could blend L+R to mono, and ues both channels for bass and just one for the mids/tweeter, as they don't use all that mich power compared to the bass.

--Buckapound

That would make since.. But do you think a mono setup will be loud.. Now I'm thinking that the sub isn't really gonna matter cus were outside.. I'm so confused:confused:

Now I'm thinking that the sub isn't really gonna matter cus were outside.. I'm so confused
Get an............... efficient class D amp, and marine audio speakers.
It won't fall over, it will be loud, portable, and waterproof.
Today 05:59 AM
But OP was on the right rail ...an efficient woofer for a first proposal , driven by efficient amplifiers = sounds good :)
Also little MTMs as seen here ,above ...they do take very little place ,and putting the speakers in parallel adds +3 dB :rolleyes:.
Many alternatives ; if space is a primary concern ,less...:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.