Incredible - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Howard is offline Howard  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Incredible

Well after adding 10 CM of 7CM diameter drainpipe into my now ported subwoofer enclosure, all I can say is damn! The difference is incredible, stunning and well worth all the effort!
I played bits of the SW Episode 2 DVD with my dad in the room and he said himself that the difference was substantial...You can feel it in your stomach. You can also feel the air from the port half way across the room!

Here's a photo of the sub (you can't see the port) for those who haven't yet seen it:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's a 12" car driver, and I can immediately notice less distortion and less excursion to reach deeper levels. It's most likely due to the fact that there's an air intake and not a "vacuum" inside the box, which I heard was bad for some drivers.
I'm only feeding it with a 100Watt Technics amp, and it goes to impressive levels!

When purchasing the drain pipe (we had to buy two metres just for 10 CM!! )we also found some draught excluder for sealing the driver, the bottom of the cage doesn't act like a port now!!

So here it is, my 30 DIY subwoofer that sounds like a 300 one!

I couldn't have done much of it without the help of you guys, so a big thank you to all of you!!

Any questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask!!

Howard
Old 16th August 2003, 04:13 PM   #2
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Congratulations. Nicely done. Had you included the construction of this--and the problems you were having--in another thread? I'd love to read what you read.

Dave
Old 16th August 2003, 04:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Sure. Here are some threads I posted relating to my sub:

Adding a port

Stuffing

My first (and probably only) sub project

Info on this sub?
Old 16th August 2003, 07:30 PM   #4
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Glad to see it worked out so well.

We figured that if it worked-great. If it doesn't-just plug the port and chalk it up to experience.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. You gambled and won.

Remember, you were the one who came up with the idea in the first place-we just helped you to execute it. Congratulations.
Old 17th August 2003, 08:40 AM   #5
Keith D is offline Keith D  United States
diyAudio Member

Default really cool

Thats a really cool shape! It gave me an idea, I'm doing a 1-1.5 ft^3 box for a titanic mkII(basically this thing will cost me a whole month's paycheck), and a 250 watt plate amp. I'm going to have the amp all recessed into the box by cutting a underhand into it, kindof like a cave the amp will fit into, so I could put a door over the amp and it would still be a hexagon (not that I'd do that).
Did you have any troule at all getting everything lined up?
Old 17th August 2003, 08:50 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I didn't build the basic box I bought it and the driver off eBay, but the box was quite badly finished so we spent a weekend making it nice and sealing gaps, etc
Old 17th August 2003, 09:50 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I can't find the edit command...Either it's gone or I'm blind!

Anyway to add to my above comment, the side panels were stuck together very well and braced in the corners for strength. The top and bottom panels weren't so well done. We had to fill in some gaps at the bottom so everything was sealed. We then ran a tube of silicone sealant around every inside edge, used filler to hide screw holes, and draught excluder to seal the sub. The terminal box had a seal already so we didn't need to alter that. We smeared a small amount of silicone sealant around the outside edge of the port (It fits so tight however that the drainpipe moulded to the slightly irregular round shape!) just so ensure nothing leaks where it shouldn't!

I'm proud of this. It may not sound as good as the subs you guys spend months working on, but it sounds brilliant to me, and it'll be providing the low frequencies in my home cinema for quite a few years I presume!
Old 17th August 2003, 10:04 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.....but it sounds brilliant to me, and it'll be providing the low frequencies in my home cinema for quite a few years I presume!
Haha...just wait till your looking through the next speaker catalog and see that "great" deal....or if you keep hanging out on this forum.

This hobby is like any other, you'll always want to keep "upgrading"

Hide this!Advertise here!