Tweeter to match JX92S - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2013, 02:34 PM   #11
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I wonder what became of this?

EDIT: I see he posted here:

Jordan jx92s GM MLTL-48 boomy bass
Old 10th January 2013, 03:00 PM   #12
AntM is offline AntM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey,
I completed the project last year - I'll post some pictures if you are interested.

I played around a bit too with "parallel" tweeter options.

My experience of using an additional tweeter rolled in above 8kHz or so is that the image focus reduces, in line with increased dispersion at HF and increased room interaction; and the listening position sweet spot widens, more or less as expected. However I've noticed that the JX92S has a pretty zingy top-end which can also be seen in the response plots. On some music material it becomes difficult to live with. Using a parallel tweeter does not improve matters and so I'm tempted to think that a full crossover may work better to reduce top end resonances.

By the way, the bass response of the design is really good - deep and dry.

Anthony
Old 10th January 2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks for the update Anthony. By chance have you experimented with turning the tweeter around and firing it off the wall?
Old 10th January 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
AntM is offline AntM  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Cal,
No unfortunately not - I didn't have the foresight to include different mounting options. I've seen though that top firing tweeters and the like have become pretty popular on high-end designs these days - I think the tweeter is crossed over very high.

I think the design philosophy of a top/back firing tweeter probably fits in better with a full-range design where the dispersion is already quite wide.

Anthony
Old 19th February 2013, 08:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Ant, post up some pictures!

I'd be interested in an A-B comparison of the Jordan with and without tweeter and perhaps with and without tweeter but with BSC!

I added a BSC and it was an odd sensation, though not bad just different, I think it adds something and takes something away, it's all about balancing I guess.
Old 8th April 2014, 08:24 AM   #16
portway is offline portway  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am using the JX92s with some baffle step correction I have also added a pair of the JXR6 units with 0.33mf and wired out of phase. The difference using the "super tweeter" is considerable and I won't willingly return to just the JX92s
Old 8th April 2014, 03:31 PM   #17
Toaster is offline Toaster  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm not using them presently, but FWIW, Jim's design with the AC ribbon is the best sound I've had from the JX92S. No matter what the toe-in angle or use/ non-use of BSC I never could get on with them fullrange. Crossing higher could work, depending on implementation, but the blend is fine at 3kHz.

Hide this!Advertise here!