kilpsch la scala

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was revamping the sound reinforcement in an auditorium that is on my campus, and I discovered that part of the reason that the speakers sounded so bad was due to the fact that the tweeters are both blown. The speakers are a pair of Kilpsch La Scala K447. My question is this These speakers are flown about 30 feet over head at the front of the auditorium, and they were installed in the 70's is it worth replacing or repairing the horns, or should I look at replacing them all together, I have always wondered if they were too small for the application, as it is a 400 seat auditorium. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam Akers

If you head over to the Klipsch forums, there are tons of folks that can help you out. Call the Klipsch parts department... they can get you a new diaphragm or something.... shouldn't cost too much. LaScalas are about my favorite pair of Klipsch speakers... I'm dying to get some.

400 seats is not impossible for the La Scala's; but it is a reach. Blown tweeters is often caused by too small an amplifier, being driven into clipping.

If the end users want more volume, you might be able to limit the bandwidth seen by the La Scala's, thus giving more acoustic output where it is needed most.

While you are inside the cabinets, get rid of the feed through connections Klipsch is so fond of (machine screws with lugs on each side of the wood). These feed through connections are best replaced with continuous length of wires. The original configuration is very prone to corrosion.

You can also move taps on the autoformer to reduce the sensitivity of the tweeter by a couple of dB. In an auditorium this may help speech intelligibility and will certainly give the tweeter a bit more available headroom.

Cyclotronguy

cyclotronguy said:
You can also move taps on the autoformer to reduce the sensitivity of the tweeter by a couple of dB. In an auditorium this may help speech intelligibility and will certainly give the tweeter a bit more available headroom.

On all the K and LS xover schems I have the tweeter isn't on the autoformer; that only affects the level of the mids. Ditto the ALK's.

Agree about the terminal connectors though.

Why not repair the two you've got, and add one or two more LaScalas and a suitable amp? I think you can even find plans for LaScala clones.

I have a set of LS plans. IIRC they only take a sheet of 8x4 each and even I can put them together (ie quite straightforward construction)

squawker level

Brett,

Thanks for the correction on the tweeter.... it's been a long time since I had one of those crossovers on the bench...... obviously past my ability to remember the finer points.

Still reducing the sensitivity of the tweeter in relation to the mid (squawker) could be an advantage in a large venue with flown speakers.

I like two of the above suggestions, either add additional or tell folks in charge they can't be saved and take them home.

cyclotronguy

zygibajt said:
Is it possible to buy drive units identical like the ones that sit in La Scala and make the clones?

Yes. Klipsch will sell all the parts as spares. There are no real substitutes to the K33 woofer and very few to the K55M mid. I'd buy all the parts, except the K400 midrange flare which is a dog. If you can get an Altec 1003/ EV SM120A that would be better, but it's a lot bigger and the Altec won't fit into the box.

The LS has an advantage over the Khorn in that you can cross it higher than 400Hz which releives some difficulty in selecting midrange drivers. For the cost though, the K55 is very good on an appropriate flare.

I also have a description of the mods to extend the bess lower by porting the cab. Easy to do if you're building from scratch.

To Brett

Do You have any idea what would be the cost of drivers (I suppose 6 of them)?
I was thinking about building something like this.I also thought about a clone of Altec Model 19.There are plans for the enclosure and drivers are easy buyable on Ebay.I also found schem. for ALK crossover as an up-grade of La - Scala.Can you recommend enything? I want high sensitivity ,huge dynamics,extremely fast,life like sound.
Bartek

Reviving an ancient thread for a relevant question:)

I've built a lascala bass bin with the djk mod integrated (thanks djk, it works nicely). I've been using a dcx2496 so any of the 'shaping' necessary to the bass is easy. I want to get the dcx out and I am wondering if anyone knows the details of what djk has in mind for the passive circuit.

I've searched like crazy and I guess I'm hoping djk is tuning in

:)

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.