Impedance correction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could point me in a direction for correcting the impedance of my speakers. This is what the curve looks like:

http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~rjonkers/impedantiecurve.jpg

Because I'm using a tube amp I like to flatten the peak at 1K5. Don't bother about the peaks in the bass. Does anyone have a suggestion or a reference to a website with more info on the subject?

Thanks, Ralph

I believe the new link is:

Passive Crossover Network Design

...and it is indeed a very good article.

A few questions remain for me...sorry if they are to stupid:

- Is it advisable to correct a woofer impedance peak (self-resonance or bassreflex) ? Obviously we can generate a flat impedance with a RLC...but at the same time we burn power in a power-hungry area...to achieve what ? Lets assume two way speaker, so cross-over frequency is far away.

- Is there a difference in requirements between SE and Push-Pube tube amp, assuming both without NFB and both in Class A ?

- Technical detail: Why are tube amps become louder at impedance peaks ? I understand that the primary impedance of the opt goes up...therefore in theory there is a plus in gain as the loadline is becoming flatter...but do we not loose power as well when this happens ?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
woofer impedance peak
An amp with a higher output impedance can alter the woofer resonance. You could design them to work together. ..or you might find changing output transformer taps to find a good bass level isn't the same tap as max output.
Why are tube amps become louder at impedance peaks ?
It isn't tube amps, it is amps with non-zero output impedance.
I understand that the primary impedance of the opt goes up...therefore in theory there is a plus in gain as the loadline is becoming flatter...but do we not loose power as well when this happens ?
Voltage goes up, current goes down, impedance is transformed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.