Distance between Woofer and Midrange driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2003, 07:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Distance between Woofer and Midrange driver

I think I have seen this subject earlier but could not find it. I apologize if this is a repeat question.

What is the maximum distance between woofer and midrange driver on same baffle? I have XO at 150Hz with 24dB/Octave active filter for the woofer.

I was planning on 80-100cm namely midranger (actually fullrange driver ) close to ear level, and the woofer close to floor level. Is that distance too big for such high XO point ?

LageB
Old 15th August 2003, 07:26 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've had good luck with near-floor placement of woofers. What's the size of the woofer you're using? If it's small enough, you might try crossing it over a bit higher to avoid the common upper bass/lower midrange in-room frequency response dip.
Old 15th August 2003, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The woofer is peerless CSX 10" and the "midranger" is a Fostex fe168S (6.5") fullrange driver. Both drivers will be built in a wall so one could say I have pretty large baffle...

LageB
Old 15th August 2003, 08:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

You might try Roy Allison's trick of putting the crossover point at the notch from the floor bounce. A few measurements should get you there. That 10" will work fine even at crossover frequencies as high as 400 Hz.
Old 16th August 2003, 02:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks SY,

But, for example in case of XO at 400Hz, would that not give some bad effect on imaging ? - with both elements separated with a distance 80-100cm - at such high XO point?

LageB
Old 16th August 2003, 02:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

If well-executed, no. Allison's speakers would be examples of that. Same with Roger Sanders' ESL hybrid systems. My last set of dynamic speakers had a pair of 17 cm midwoofers down at the floor with the midranges at ear height, crossed over at about 300 Hz. The imaging was outstanding.
Old 17th August 2003, 05:45 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

>What is the maximum distance between woofer and midrange driver on same baffle? I have XO at 150Hz with 24dB/Octave active filter for the woofer.

====

In the ~200-7kHz BW I like to stay within WL/pi for good summation. Below/above these points as you move further away from them you can progressively increase the distance due to our decreasing low/high hearing acuity. ~1WL should be fine and as Sy noted, within reason, positioning for best room integration is more important down low than how close the drivers are together.

GM
Old 17th August 2003, 11:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM and SY,

Based on your comments I feel safe to ahead with my project as planned.

Best
Lage
Old 21st August 2003, 01:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have the 10" CSX near floor and w15cy001 seas mag excel below tweets which are at eat height. The woof mid centres are close to a meter appart i think and this images well 300hz. With the bass not connected the imaging is super with the bass connected no change. The 300 hz xo is adjustable 24db active on bass and 12db on mid also adjust.

Good driver the 850146 can shift some serious air, I use them sealed at about 70 litres.

w15cy's not bad either sound simply sensational
Old 21st August 2003, 06:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks 5th element,
Cool! your set-up is similar to mine although I plan the XO at around 150Hz. In my case the Woofer volume (sealed) will also be somewhere between 50-70 litres.

Do you at any time feel need for a Sub, or is the CSX10" in your sealed configuration "deep" enough?

LageB

Hide this!Advertise here!