Distance between Woofer and Midrange driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I have seen this subject earlier but could not find it. I apologize if this is a repeat question.

What is the maximum distance between woofer and midrange driver on same baffle? I have XO at 150Hz with 24dB/Octave active filter for the woofer.

I was planning on 80-100cm namely midranger (actually fullrange driver ) close to ear level, and the woofer close to floor level. Is that distance too big for such high XO point ?

LageB

If well-executed, no. Allison's speakers would be examples of that. Same with Roger Sanders' ESL hybrid systems. My last set of dynamic speakers had a pair of 17 cm midwoofers down at the floor with the midranges at ear height, crossed over at about 300 Hz. The imaging was outstanding.

GM

Joined 2003
>What is the maximum distance between woofer and midrange driver on same baffle? I have XO at 150Hz with 24dB/Octave active filter for the woofer.

====

In the ~200-7kHz BW I like to stay within WL/pi for good summation. Below/above these points as you move further away from them you can progressively increase the distance due to our decreasing low/high hearing acuity. ~1WL should be fine and as Sy noted, within reason, positioning for best room integration is more important down low than how close the drivers are together.

GM

I have the 10" CSX near floor and w15cy001 seas mag excel below tweets which are at eat height. The woof mid centres are close to a meter appart i think and this images well 300hz. With the bass not connected the imaging is super with the bass connected no change. The 300 hz xo is adjustable 24db active on bass and 12db on mid also adjust.

Good driver the 850146 can shift some serious air, I use them sealed at about 70 litres.

w15cy's not bad either:cool: sound simply sensational

Thanks 5th element,
Cool! your set-up is similar to mine although I plan the XO at around 150Hz. In my case the Woofer volume (sealed) will also be somewhere between 50-70 litres.

Do you at any time feel need for a Sub, or is the CSX10" in your sealed configuration "deep" enough?

LageB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.