Altec Voice of the theater worth the hassle?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
obviously different bass drivers ( I see 421-8LF) - one have Aly dust cap ( later - more powerful version , but also less musical )

other one have paper dust cap , but I can't be sure which one is it

compression drivers aren't originals ; they can be anything - picture isn't enough informative

in any case -inspect boxes - are they worth repairing ; they are if needed work is cosmetically

also - those big horns (511B) demands proper drivers

if you're willing to start Altec journey - that's good start .

but just that - start

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Big Cal is always looking for Altec bargain ;
You bet but...
For HIFI, the cabs/horns need tweaking and both the LF and HF drivers [$$$] will need replacing.
What he said.

I'd pass unless you happen to have the right gear for them. Altec cabinets, horns and one LF driver doth not make a VOTT. Mind you for 400 bucks it is a good starting point. ;)

no one could build those boxes for $400 (time and materials) + you get some drivers and electronics, if the boxes/cabs/horns are a good design, i see nothing some sandpaper and paint wouldn't make pretty in a couple of hours.

if you have room and the desire for speakers like this (and they work) i think $400 is a great price, id bet the seller would take $300 cash, not to many peeps ready to trade in their bose for those bohemoths ;)

Are these worth the hassle if I could get them for about $400?

You could buy a new pair for $8,000, plus $600 for shipping.

Legend Reborn: Altec Lansing Reintroduces Legacy A7 ‘Voice Of The Theatre’ Speaker

altec.lansing.a7.oblique.gif

Once freshly painted, the cabs would look fine again. It may have the wrong parts, but those wrong parts can be sold. You can buy original drivers or equal/new replacements, but maybe you can find alternative modern drivers for a more modest budget. Heck, you can do filtering with minidsp. I wouldn't go to the hassle, just wanted to add this to your perspective.

That ad is from 2003 they have been discontinued for a couple of years now ! When they stopped making them they were listed at $5300 a piece.Wonder why they aren't making them Hmm ? Maybe they priced themselves out of the business !;)

I would offer him $100-$200 for the cabs and Horns only.And then put in replacement 416's/802's/N501 crossovers.Take that wire mesh out of the woofer opening and some new paint.Brand new Vott stickers and your good to go ! :D

Ya, that's about as close as I can get unless I really want to dig. I think the 416 was next as it seems to be a newer version of the 803. I think they might have ended the run using the 515 as it's midrange was the best and by then they were using helper woofers.

The cabinets shape for the A5 and A7 was basically the same, it was the drivers and horns that were different and it started with the 825 cabinet followed by the 828. I have seen construction of 5/8 ply, 3/4 ply and 3/4" MDF.

Don't forget they also used that cabinet with the 421 woofer and called it the 1236.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.