Help: SS Impedance Curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Using the above link, you can create F and Z files by tracing the graphs.

The tool you want is SPL Tracer from the FRD consortium:
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

I've used it, combined with Speakerworkshop. Of course it isn't the same as measuring the in cabinet response of your drivers, and you wont get phase response to measure phase tracking through the crossover region, but fun to play with!

I've already traced 4 of the SS drviers - let me know model numbers. I'm more than happy to send you the .frd and .zma files (with fudged phase data)

Dave.

Thanks guys!

Looks like I will have to learn much to use the professional techniques and tools (I don't know about the .frd and .zma files), which is something I have tried to avoid (I don't know for what reason. May be the time required to master such expertise).

Dave, I want to go cheap with the tweeter (I think SS tweeters are OK, may also be Seas which I think is good at Performance-To-Price ratio). With the midwoofer, I want the one that is good sounding in the mid frequencies (as you can check by feeding the driver with full range signal or through a first order filter). Another one is the capability to reproduce fine transient detail (same checking procedure). Usually, I need a tweeter that can go lower or a woofer that can go higher. Sealed enclosure. Any suggestion on the drivers?

Jay,

I'd like to help with driver choice, but unfortunately I don't have enough experience to be useful!

There is so much choice out there. I would start a new post with some of your design goals (also whether 2-way, 3-way, passive, active, TL etc...). The guys here will no doubt then reply giving you various combinations.

Like most things - start with cheaper drivers or proven kits - then experiment to learn.

Not that I know from experience - but what experienced people tell me!

Cheers,
David.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.