Am I heading in the right direction here?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across this site by accident a couple of days ago and I have literally been glued to it. So much so that I am taking up my own project here soon. But before I do I wanted to run it across people much more knowledgable. First off I am working within some constraints, money and matrial availiability being the biggest. I am a marine stationed in japan living in the barracks so space is another. With that out of the way here is what I have cooked up so far. Every bit of input is appreciated.
-Drivers-
Peerless HDS 6.5 831735, I chose this driver because of its reasonable cost, high power handling, long Xmax, very low Fs for a 6.5 driver, and narrow measurment across flats allowing narrower cabinet.

HiVi TN25 tweeter, I chose this because from I understand about fabric dome tweeters is they allow a broad soundstage with a very tonally neutral reproduction, which is what I think I am looking for. I know the input power will need to be attenuated for use of this tweeter - or atleast I think so correct me if I am wrong.

-Cabinet-
According to WinISD a 1.1 cu ft box with a 3in port will bring the tune to 37hz at -3db. I dont know if this is to low or not for this particular driver. The dimensions of the cabinet will be 8inx10inx32in. The material will be poplar hardwood due to the wood hobby shop not carrying MDF. Is this a suitable material? My plan is to finish with with a pore sealer, a polyurethane coat and then onto a black lacquer polished finish.

Like I said I am brand new to this and nervous about taking the leap to buy everything only to have it sound like garbage. Every opinion, input, bash, or criticism is appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.