Why are OMNI speakers not more popular? - Page 89 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2016, 10:22 PM   #881
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

Directivity
Old 14th December 2016, 05:42 AM   #882
diyAudio Member

Thank you, graaf. I'll give that a listen...catch up on current thinking by some of the better minds regarding the subject.

I've always kept in mind Linkwitz' comment 'ignore the room'. I've had to do just that nearly everywhere I've lived with whatever speakers that happened to be along for that part of the ride. Decent omnis IMHO at least make the approach properly, recreating the space as opposed to hosing one down with directed sound.

I still have my atypical 'typical' speakers, but I use them more as a reference point than as 'daily drivers', to steal a phrase...although any speaker has it's own 'voice', much like us. I've noticed that with my objects; although they're of different physical size, there's a commonality as to How they sound, what their 'voice' is like given the same input. You can definitely tell they're cousins. *G*
Old 20th March 2017, 02:01 PM   #883
diyAudio Member

This was a very interesting read. I'm considering to either build some omnis myself, or to buy one of the commercial offerings. My experience is that omnis can sound more natural than frontfiring speakers.

Just a related question to the omni owners out there: Do you have any thoughts/experience on proper acoustic room treatment for omnis? Most of the existing advise for room acoustics are geared towards conventional forward-firing speakers, so I don't know if it's applicable for omnis. Concerning the back wall behind the listener for example: Would it be a good idea to leave this relatively untreated, or add some cheap absorbtion, or diffusers? As I understand it, the ideal thing for omnis would be for the reflections to come back as "pure" as possible. If it's an absorber that only takes up parts of the frequency range, that could be a problem for example, so a diffusor could work better.
(if it's ok that I'm asking about it in this thread)
Old 20th March 2017, 02:19 PM   #884
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oivavoi View Post
This was a very interesting read. I'm considering to either build some omnis myself, or to buy one of the commercial offerings. My experience is that omnis can sound more natural than frontfiring speakers.

Just a related question to the omni owners out there: Do you have any thoughts/experience on proper acoustic room treatment for omnis? Most of the existing advise for room acoustics are geared towards conventional forward-firing speakers, so I don't know if it's applicable for omnis. Concerning the back wall behind the listener for example: Would it be a good idea to leave this relatively untreated, or add some cheap absorbtion, or diffusers? As I understand it, the ideal thing for omnis would be for the reflections to come back as "pure" as possible. If it's an absorber that only takes up parts of the frequency range, that could be a problem for example, so a diffusor could work better.
(if it's ok that I'm asking about it in this thread)
I think there are 2 schools of thought on this. One view is directivity, min reflections and localization is primarily important for a technical listener. The other view is that spaciousness and reflections are key to pleasing sound even if it sacrifices some localization detail. I'm in the latter camp. Some reflections are needed, otherwise you'd use an anechoic chamber or an open field as a listening room (neither is pleasing). The debate is in the degree and hence your preference, and hence never solved :-)

Authors like Floyd Toole have studied this extensively and its the theme of his book. A true Omni has the exact same response 360deg around and by definition has constant directivity. They spray the room and provide excellent lateral reflections from the walls, and they sound very natural and spacious (to me anyways). I don't treat the room, but I place the speaker >1m from any wall, furniture and carpet is enough damping, and don't sit against a wall. Still working on mine.

OmniDirectional - work in progress

Last edited by DonVK; 20th March 2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: placement
Old 20th March 2017, 03:22 PM   #885
diyAudio Member

Thanks, DonVK! Interesting to read about your experiences. I'm to a certain extent in both "camps": I like very detailed pinpoint imaging, but also like very much to have a airy and spatial sound. The question is whether one can have both...

Interesting that you don't treat walls at all. I currently have absorbers on the back wall, but maybe that won't be needed with omnis.
Old 20th March 2017, 03:33 PM   #886
DonVK is offline DonVK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oivavoi View Post
Thanks, DonVK! Interesting to read about your experiences. I'm to a certain extent in both "camps": I like very detailed pinpoint imaging, but also like very much to have a airy and spatial sound. The question is whether one can have both...

Interesting that you don't treat walls at all. I currently have absorbers on the back wall, but maybe that won't be needed with omnis.
According to Toole, reflections from behind are not helpful. Your back wall treatment is probably better. I have large windows on 3 sides so absorbers are not really an option for me, and I don't seem to be bothered by back wall (window) reflections.

Hide this!Advertise here!