Why are OMNI speakers not more popular? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2011, 07:16 PM   #11
graaf is offline graaf  Poland
diyAudio Member

several reasons I believe
first, most of pros and also audiophiles prefer unnatural sound of front firing speakers, and there is a marketing trend set against omni as something radically different from the front firing mainsteram
second, prevailing acoustical theories cannot explain behaviour of an omni in a room, and lack of theory results in imperfect omni speakers because manufacturers don't know what they are doing really
third, omnis need different room interface than front firing speakers and rarely they are set up proprely
forth, people are mentally uhm uhm er... conservative and reluctant to try things different
fifth, there are some omni speakers that are quite popular, at least in the audiophile DIY community - Plutos for example, in spite of the fact that Linkwitz doesn't know either how this omni works and why ;-)

regards,
graaf
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I guess with B&O in-car systems gaining popularity and tv exposure it might encourage more home audio companies to start looking at producing omnis.
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:29 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

omnipole = omni directional. I usually bunch bipoles in with them.

Stu Hegemann was an early proponent of omni in NA (see Morrison Audio fine audio speakers and electronics.), there were quite a few in the UK (some of the Lowther corner horns come to mind). Electrohome in the 60s & 70s really pushed the concept into homes... they had a zillion different omnis similar to the Mirage (i expect Mirages patent only covers the specific reflector shape they use -- anyone got a patent #?)

Another:

Click the image to open in full size.

Entry Speaker

dave
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:39 PM   #14
oublie is offline oublie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenB View Post
and what the omnipole is a feck?

So would a bipole qualify for this discussion? I've considered bipole for the benefit of floor bounce correction and baffle step compensation.
What the feck! Ad gets the all-clear - Scotsman.com News
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

That is fecking good news!
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

you are completely at the mercy of the room's acoustic. controlled dispersion usually results in Higher Fi
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:24 PM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymroy View Post
you are completely at the mercy of the room's acoustic. controlled dispersion usually results in Higher Fi
OTOH, if you're going to spend a gazillion dollars on a first-rate omni like the MBLs mentioned above, it's not a reach to spend 1.05 gazillion dollars on the omnis plus room treatments.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
Is it down to room placement or treble loss? Just seems that in our current ipod dock/ playing music off laptop era, people are more likely to be moving around a room ie bedrooms or workplace; there are many advantages to the omni.
I am quite happy with line arrays in walls, I hear stereo (and surround) everywhere in my house, even when I sit now in the office and daughter watches movie in living room, I hear multi-dimensional sound, as if "it is there".

It is like an omni field, but created by more than one speaker.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:43 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

IMHO, real full range omnis are not popular because they need either specific drivers (MBL, German Physics...), or some stuff around ( Duevel) or a lot of drivers (Raal's Eternity : think of the bill for a DIY cloning).
This with the R&D (and the high end positioning) results in a relatively expensive set of speakers. On the DIY side, is the more popular pluto a full range omni ? Hum, not that much. A flooder with frontal tweeter.
An other caveat for the omnis, is that they sound better in wide rooms where the reflections will be delayed enough.

Anyway, some people like. I have seen a photo book in a Singapore shop with as much customers than a teenager has friends on facebook. 35.000 US$ the speakers pair...
Old 4th June 2011, 12:27 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

When you refer to "omni" what frequencies are discussed?

All typical box speakers are omni at lower frequency. I had built a linkwitz pluto clone and they are omni to 3.5 khz. This is uniform enough and they sounded great. As dipoles they really need space, and I guess one of the factors why they're not pupolar? Most people/wife wants speakers out of the way.

Hide this!Advertise here!