Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I know it goes against everything we 'believe', or believe to know
but I think its best to keep an omni 'low profile'
I would say about one feet high, or half a meter, max
and not use any diffusers

to mount the drivers at listening height with diffusors seems to me contradicting to the very nature of omni design
kind of like forced directivity

and drivers do not need to be mounted on top of each other
maybe they actually should't
might be one of the usual mistakes

its already here clear why its not going to be popular
no impressive 'looks', and too much like a Bose, or worse

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
btw, its funny tho that my experiment clearly showed that floor positioned drivers had great and precise imaging/soundstage
and even more funny that singers etc were positioned with the correct height

and that with all sorts of things placed around
furniture, boxes, project, etc
far from optimal
placed close to walls
and below a big bookshelf
probably couldn't be worse
but it still worked

and the 3way xo, even more silly

Attachments

• OB 2.5way filter.JPG
    OB 2.5way filter.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 1,635

I hear the same effect from line arrays that contain 8 x 4" drivers, in the center of the wall.

Height of positioning is perceived as reflection from floor during recording session. When some studios put deep carpet on floor in order to silence steps this information is lost.

several reasons I believe
first, most of pros and also audiophiles prefer unnatural sound of front firing speakers, and there is a marketing trend set against omni as something radically different from the front firing mainsteram
second, prevailing acoustical theories cannot explain behaviour of an omni in a room, and lack of theory results in imperfect omni speakers because manufacturers don't know what they are doing really
third, omnis need different room interface than front firing speakers and rarely they are set up proprely
forth, people are mentally uhm uhm er... conservative and reluctant to try things different
fifth, there are some omni speakers that are quite popular, at least in the audiophile DIY community - Plutos for example, in spite of the fact that Linkwitz doesn't know either how this omni works and why ;-)

regards,
graaf

I agree with much of what you say. I think the failed Bose 901 design did a lot to deter audiophiles from showing interest in anything but highly directional speakers. Even wide dispersion tweeters have lost favor. Despite mountains of different tweeters on the market, there are no acceptable substitutes for wide dispersion models such as AR's 3/4" or Roy Allison own brand designs. The current market vogue and expectations are for highly directional tweeters that beam their sound. These often sound shrill to me and very unnatural. They also require you to be in a "sweet spot" to get the best they have to offer. When you listen to real musical instruments, most are nearly omnidirectional radiators or indirect radiators and sound very different.

I think for the consumer sector it's that little domes are omni enough for most. The great time of the omnis was when there had to be done something for enhancing the dispersion of the drivers anyway. And among audiophiles pinpoint imaging has become a criterion for quality.

Stu Hegemann was an early proponent of omni in NA (see Morrison Audio fine audio speakers and electronics.),

yes, Hegeman designed Lowther speaker-based Harman Citation X: http://www.roger-russell.com/eico/citationxstu.htm

before (?) there was also Lowther the Ace and after JBL Aquarius and others

is the more popular pluto a full range omni ? Hum, not that much. A flooder with frontal tweeter.

perhaps such a flooder is omni enough?

perhaps as gainphile says:
they are omni to 3.5 khz. This is uniform enough

as to the room interface
An other caveat for the omnis, is that they sound better in wide rooms where the reflections will be delayed enough.
As dipoles they really need space, and I guess one of the factors why they're not pupolar? Most people/wife wants speakers out of the way.

this is probably true with regard to typical omni, on the other hand a short flooder can work well also against the wall and is very room-placement-tolerant in general

as tinitus observes:
btw, its funny tho that my experiment clearly showed that floor positioned drivers had great and precise imaging/soundstage

and that with all sorts of things placed around
furniture, boxes, project, etc
far from optimal
placed close to walls
and below a big bookshelf
probably couldn't be worse
but it still worked

yes indeed! behold the magic of the real (short) flooder! :D

but I think its best to keep an omni 'low profile'
I would say about one feet high, or half a meter, max

absolutely!

and not use any diffusers

to mount the drivers at listening height with diffusors seems to me contradicting to the very nature of omni design
kind of like forced directivity

I agree, and mounting drivers on top of each other inevitably leads to this

its already here clear why its not going to be popular
no impressive 'looks', and too much like a Bose, or worse

on the other hand there were times and places when flooders were very popular - I mean Sweden and Carlsson/Sonab speakers in particular

I know it goes against everything we 'believe', or believe to know

yeah, that's the main problem
the second is that it goes against everything we know, according to common knowledge, too
therefore most direct-reflecting designs - Bose and others, more specialty like Shahinians or more mass consumer oriented like spherical speakers of JVC and Grundig - were hit-and-miss, mostly miss...

They were popular in Sweden, the whole Carlsson line was omnidirectional.

Personally I've built a clone of a speaker inspired by the Carlsson line, the pop box. That speaker solves the tweeter directonality problem by having multiple tweeters like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sound imaging is godlike compared to ordinary directional speakers, I will never be able to go back them... next project is to try to make a true omnidirectional open baffle speaker by placing a tweeter ring both on the front and at the back of the baffle =)

// Olle

Sound imaging is godlike compared to ordinary directional speakers, I will never be able to go back them...
My second system consists of wide beam coaxials, crossover point not measurable from any direction, compared to that the polar response of my Carlssons is probably a mess (didn't measure due to lack of interest), but their imaging is in a different league.

I'm not a fan of omni. When listening to them, to me it sounds like there is too much reverberant field, and not enough direct sound. Although the imaging can be quite sharp, and tonally quite neutral, the overall soundstage doesn't give the impression of listening to live music. Dipoles (open baffle speakers), on the other hand, to me sound most lifelike. Box speakers are in the middle.

My experience is with SL's Pluto speakers (both revisions), and with a no-name speaker based on the Mirage design (made by the same company).

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ah, they forgot how to mount wires and terminal, and just left out a woofer instead
thats clever, considering it costs a fortune
expencive waste scrap

shoot, I did wonder about the size of that 'box', for that many woofers
but maybe they thought; hell, lets make it a ripole instead:headbash: