Why are OMNI speakers not more popular?

Ohm Walsh drive is somthing special...
Der-Aufbau-des-Walsh-Wandlers-Beispiel-OHM-F.jpg

But do we have modern directivity measurements of it?

More omnis Omnidirectional speakers

I have a pair of OA-15
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi, 'hazi....Y'know, I've not run into any and would appreciate, nay, fall over to see any. They're known to be difficult at best to 'read' because the radiation pattern 'shades' any direct measurements.

I'm inclined to think the only way to get something serious would be in an anechoic chamber, surround it with 4 closely matched calibrated mics, run Those through an 'averaging' routine, and see what comes out...

Somewhat beyond most typical testing, and certainly beyond the DIYer unless one has more $ and spare time than 99.99% of us as a whole.

I have noticed...and IMHO, obviously....that when you have 4 of them in a surround array in a larger space that the reflected sound 'seems' to begin to be 'overridden' by the 'direct' sound....

Observations:
1-db & low fq response 'rises', even for the smaller cone sizes I'm deploying.
2-clarity improves on the hf

I'm frankly not totally surprised by the above; any surround system will yield such. What is interesting is movement within the sound field away from the dead center 'sweet spot' (Yes, it's there) brings into play direct/radiation effects without use of any delay on the 'rear' (subjective; it's a 2 chan. input/output, no use of eq. F or R individually)....

Instruments & vocals begin to move about. Now...this may be an effect induced by the modern mixing tech and techniques that are employed. Some selections just 'play flat', almost 'mono' in their perceived 'sound field'.

But some of the more current music, esp. the ones that are 'noticeably cleaner' response....

It get erie...but delightful to experience.

If you can try this routine, let me know what you hear....or think you're hearing. I'd like some feedback on this....

Either that...or I'm simply going more 'bonkers' than y'all think I am already.*L*

...but, Hey. I'm good with either. *LOL* ;)

Happy New Decade...

Anyway...have finally gotten about to adding hf drivers to 3 of the 4 pairs of Walsh 'full range' drivers that have survived my use 'n abuse....

Now starts the 'taming of the new beasts', since they're already exhibiting 'cone honk'.

Simplest way of describing that characteristic is the way one sounds when using a megaphone....that 'honky' sound is gives one's voice (or anything else, for that matter)... Think Rudy Vallee's vocals of days' past.....

Yes, that does indicate how old I might be....*L*

It also should show t' go ya Why I can claim "Yes, I know what tubes sound like...Yes, they've improved....Yes, I'm 'solid state', and think class D isn't sent from Hades to mess with us...." ;)

'Cone honk' I can cure ....rather easily, actually...*S*

It's the newer demons that will need to be quelled...

The quest continues....