Curb find.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks like

RS-4b-finished.jpg

dave

Thanks guys They do have the "Samarium Cobalt Emit" and the "Polydome rapid-acceleration mid" One of the woofers is blown so I am on the hunt for a replacement but all else seems good. One question for any Infinity lovers out there.......how the heck are these woofers wired? My guess is series but all wires were disconnected when I opened them up so I need to solve this wire riddle. The reason I think series is there is a "jumper" wire......short wire from one sub to the other.

Thanks Planet10, they are the ones I was thinking of. I passed up a chance to buy a pair a couple years ago. They might be the first "high end" speaker I heard. Late '85/early '86, local shop had a pair hooked up to a full HK system with the 825 pre and 870 power. Had a CD of different sound effects. The jet plane sounded like it was flying over your head. I've never been able to break away from audio since!

Peace,

Dave

Hey 503Timber, check out Infinitiy's website. Even though they no longer carry parts, from what I remember Harman International is pretty good about having documentation available in PDF. I got the schematics for the Qa, Qb and Qe from the site, and they are even older than your RS-4B's.

Ok, I just looked at Infinity's website, they don't have the docs for that speaker listed, so you may have to email them. But for good news, they did have the woofer listed as available. $43 and change a piece.

Peace,

Dave

Last edited:
Well even though the numbers on my woofer were different than the one they had it is in fact the same. I emailed their tech department and got a response by this morning. They don't have the manual or anything but said if I called into the tech department they could "walk me through wiring them up correctly over the phone".......kind of weird but what the heck.

I heard.....I believe the RS-5b with the dual 6.5" and they were quite nice. I think I'm going to need a bigger amp to drive these....or that could be an excuse for another new toy. Right now I have a PP 6v6 and an old Kenwood tuner/integrated set with about 40 watts per channel. Well I have a TA-2020 amp too but can't imagine that driving them........yeah, new amp time

I REALLY want to plug one hole per cabinet and hook up one sub per cabinet and see how they sound......... I can do this without any damage to the cabinet......but PLEASE talk me out of this, my drill finger is getting itchy. No......I need to wait the 10-12 days for my sub to get here...........

I scored infinity Kappa 6 off a curb... those sealed 10"s made some damned fine bass. Needed a refoam, I later gave a good hifi friend a great deal on those and a motorola dcp-501. Both expired in a house fire... along with my friend. Bittersweet memories on these, but they were entirely decent speakers. Little trick- listen vertically aligned to the mid, not the emit.

That doesn't show the wiring of the woofers but here's the RS-5B as a guide.
http://www.infinity-classics.de/technik/manuals/RS_5B_technical_sheet.pdf

Check the Re of the woofers and if < 3R5 each then they would be usually wired in series and if > 5R each they would be wired in parallel. The zobel used has a 4R resistor so could give a clue as I imagine when wired gives a combined Re around 3R-4R.

I believe these use the special McCauley (IIRC) woofers, which had a secondary voicecoil with a network, designed to impedance flatten at Fc and extend bass durned near another octave. Very slick way of doing it though inelegant next to modern EQ. Be sure you wire the correct coils if there are dual coils per woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.