Side firing port for bass-reflex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am working on a 2-way bass-reflex/horn tower configuration speaker design. The cabinet is 48" tall with the woofer and horn located at the top front of the speaker box. I have researched this quite a bit and I see no reason that the port cannot be located on the side of the cabinet at the bottom since the quarter wave of the tuning frequency is well within tolerance. I have seen ports located on the back of the cabinet, however I believe if placed close to a rear wall there may be some detrimental effects. With the port on the side, it would afford placement with the port firing in towards the center if the speaker is to be placed close to an outer wall.

Does anyone here have any comments or experience regarding port placement in this configuration?

I should clarify the reasons for wanting to place the port on the side.

Due to the construction methods, I have calculated that the depth of the side bracing can be used very easily to construct the port. The distance from the outer panel, through the bracing, with the addition of a couple of other cross braces will match the tuning frequency of the cabinet design.

Thanks.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.