Rehousing speaker - TDL RTL3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Mmm homemade vegi balti, nice! :)

Ok, while the kettle is boiling...

Firstly you need Res, and that is given by the voice coil resistance Re subtracted from the measured resistance at Fs.

Then Qms = Res/ (BLsquared x Cms x ( 2Pi x Fs))

Qts is the same formula, only replace Res with Re.

Off to watch CSI Miami, back later! ;)

I've finished building my clamp and measured the four drivers again. I get consistent results with the same driver now (using 11Khz sampling rate in SW) but the TSP differences between drivers is a little worrying.

How should I pair these drivers up? And which driver should I model an enclosure around?

Attachments

• sph175-measurements.gif
    sph175-measurements.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 592
RTL3's

I love my RTL3s (Powered by a Mudical Fidelity E100 - made for each other alledgedly), but as good as the sound-stage and bass and mid are, I would love them to have a sweet and articulate treble, instead of the splash they have as Std.
I figured others might think so too - So does anyone know of a recomended mod for the tweeters?
I contacted falcon-acoustics (.co.uk) for advice and they recomended the Vifa D27TG tweeter (@ ~£22).
Has anyone done this Mod?
Thanks,
Paul.

Yeah the treble sucks. If you're thinking about changing the tweets than you might want to take a pass at the crossover as well. You may find this article (part 1) interesting.

Article part 2
Article part 3

I don't know what my new speakers (can't really call them TDL RTL's anymore) will sound like once they're finished, but I may change the tweeters down the line too, so keep us posted.

TDL RTL3s

Thanks!
This was very useful, though I'm not sure if this guy's serious or not? (I was looking for 'candid camera' whilst reading it!)
I guess I can understand the changing of cheap components to more expensive ones in the X-over, but some of the suggestions on the linked sites seeem a bit crazy! (Such as "use this type of coin instead of that one" for propping your speakers up, and using copper nuts and washers Vs Iron Vs steel, for different sounds when attaching drive units!... etc... etc...)

With RTL3s, the soundstage is great, the deep-base is great, and the mid is pretty transparent. The main fixes needed to my ears are the upper-base (lacks warmth - especially with certain CD players such as Dennon's old 1015 which was a great player for depth and smoothness for the price but emphasised the problem with the RTL3s), and the low trebble which is splashy as opposed to sweet and articulate - which is the sound I would prefer to hear. I remember hearing a great trebble sound on a pair of Mordant Short MS25s years ago.

I guess my ultimate speakers would have the warmth of 'tubes', the bass-depth and soundstage of the RTL3s with the sweet articulation of the MS25s, and a flat response when used in the average sitting-room. I've been tempted by (but yet to listen to) a pair of PMC FB1s - but at £1400 a pair (ouch) I'll have to put a good case together for the wife! The desciption of them sounds like what I looking for, but we shall see. If I can get closer by doing some (cheap!) mods - I'll try this first!

Thanks for all suggestions you may have.

Cheers,
Paul

Update...

I had the first listening test for my first set of DIY speakers today. I still haven't put any filling in, and so the enclosures aren't sealed properly (screws only), but they sound quite good.

They are *still* impressive at hitting the low notes, which is something I was initially worried about moving from TL to sealed. They also appear to have a flatter response in the bottom end which is great. The midrange is more pronounced than how I remember, and the top end still sounds raspy - expectedly so since the tweeter hasn't been changed.

Still a way to go yet, but what a buzz :D

Attachments

• tdl01.jpg
    tdl01.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 446
Rtl3 special edition upgrade

Hello all,
I have just bought a pair of rtl3 s e Speakers and my first impressions are mixed. I love the bass, so deep. But the Treble and soundstage have completly gone! I`m not sure if i`m expecting too much, but i cant live without it. Any ideas to what i should do? Try upgrading the tweeters,but will thay always be lacking in sondstage and treble compared to my B & W 602 s3?

Thanks in advance
Ian

Hi,
I agree with your synopsis of the sound of the RTLS.
The soudnstage is large - but undefined.
Falcon Acoustics suggested:
"The tweeters we would suggest are the Vifa D27TG. These are nice and smooth and give good stereo imaging. Details (p.d.f.file) on the web site Page 10. "
However, I didn't do the mod, as they looked like they would need some major butchering to the cabinet to make them work...
(ie - If it didn't work, I wouldn't be able to sell them...)
If anyone has done a tweeter mod on some RTL3s - I love to know more also!
Cheers,
Paul.

schema

Hi,
I woul'nt have the technical knowledge to create a crossover schema, sorry.
Mine Have the 100mm tweeter, and i would like to hear from anyone who has upgraded this version.
Also how they might compare to my B&W 602s3.

What i have done is connect both speakers at the same time, using the tweeter on the 602's and Bass of the RTL3's. Sounds good, but the girlfriend hates 4 speakers in the living room :)

Cheers
Ian

RTL3 X-over design

Hi,

Apologies if this double-posts - having a bit of an argument with the site (over cookies I think...)

I hope this doesn't seem a bit cheeky (lazy even!), but I have no idea what I am doing electronically, but would love to upgrade the X-over on my RTL3s.
I now have from this list:
1) a schematic of the X-over,
2) Capacitor values of 6uf for the tweeter and 10uf for the woofer.
3) An option to add a "Multicap RTX 0.01uf" in parrallel for the tweeter. (Good idea??? - I have no idea...)
4) Coil replacement with "Solo CFAC" units. ( Comments? - A good idea?)
5) Dont know what the 10R / 10W bit on the schematic even is...

I am grateful for comments on the merit (& completeness!) of the above design-mod by Jo Luk, and if poss.....
Could some kind person tell me something like the RS-Components part numbers or something for the bits, as I have no idea how to select high quality hi-fi bits from the miriad of electronic options! (Told you I was new here...)

Thanks,
Paul.

tdl rtl clone?

Hi Vikash,
l beleive it was you who some 12 mths to 2 yrs ago posted some pics of a tdl rtl cab rebuild which l would like to emulate by cloning a pr of rtl's;) as the links on your later posts no longer work l wonder if you would be kind enough to share the design with me as l would like to clone the design because l have four similar spec drivers to the monacors used in the rtl cabs and would like a quick n easy project as l am'slightly physically handicapped since suffering a stroke 6 yrs ago
thanks Tomcat:smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.