Rehousing speaker - TDL RTL3 - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2003, 07:00 PM   #21
diyAudio Moderator

Just going to eat, will be back with formulas in half hour or so.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 19th August 2003, 07:02 PM   #22
Vikash is offline Vikash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

lol.
Old 19th August 2003, 07:58 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Mmm homemade vegi balti, nice!

Ok, while the kettle is boiling...

Firstly you need Res, and that is given by the voice coil resistance Re subtracted from the measured resistance at Fs.

Then Qms = Res/ (BLsquared x Cms x ( 2Pi x Fs))

Qts is the same formula, only replace Res with Re.

Off to watch CSI Miami, back later!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd September 2003, 08:58 PM   #24

I've finished building my clamp and measured the four drivers again. I get consistent results with the same driver now (using 11Khz sampling rate in SW) but the TSP differences between drivers is a little worrying.

How should I pair these drivers up? And which driver should I model an enclosure around?
Attached Images
File Type: gif sph175-measurements.gif (13.2 KB, 481 views)
Old 3rd September 2003, 08:41 AM   #25
diyAudio Moderator

hi mate

I won't be around for a few weeks, ( off working!), so hopefully someone else will pick up the ball and give you a hand.

But on a quick look, I would use A+B and C+D, as the pairs. Model all of them, and find a nice average box size to suit.

Good luck
Old 14th September 2003, 08:36 PM   #26

I finally got round to doing a VAS measurements = 65 litres. Does this seem realistic for a misbass driver? (140mm cone diameter).

I'm wondering whether the test box is too small (13 litres)?
Old 27th October 2003, 09:45 PM   #27
RevF is offline RevF  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Question RTL3's

I love my RTL3s (Powered by a Mudical Fidelity E100 - made for each other alledgedly), but as good as the sound-stage and bass and mid are, I would love them to have a sweet and articulate treble, instead of the splash they have as Std.
I figured others might think so too - So does anyone know of a recomended mod for the tweeters?
I contacted falcon-acoustics (.co.uk) for advice and they recomended the Vifa D27TG tweeter (@ ~22).
Has anyone done this Mod?
Thanks,
Paul.
Old 28th October 2003, 02:52 PM   #28

Yeah the treble sucks. If you're thinking about changing the tweets than you might want to take a pass at the crossover as well. You may find this article (part 1) interesting.

Article part 2
Article part 3

I don't know what my new speakers (can't really call them TDL RTL's anymore) will sound like once they're finished, but I may change the tweeters down the line too, so keep us posted.
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)
Old 29th October 2003, 01:50 PM   #29
RevF is offline RevF  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up TDL RTL3s

Thanks!
This was very useful, though I'm not sure if this guy's serious or not? (I was looking for 'candid camera' whilst reading it!)
I guess I can understand the changing of cheap components to more expensive ones in the X-over, but some of the suggestions on the linked sites seeem a bit crazy! (Such as "use this type of coin instead of that one" for propping your speakers up, and using copper nuts and washers Vs Iron Vs steel, for different sounds when attaching drive units!... etc... etc...)

With RTL3s, the soundstage is great, the deep-base is great, and the mid is pretty transparent. The main fixes needed to my ears are the upper-base (lacks warmth - especially with certain CD players such as Dennon's old 1015 which was a great player for depth and smoothness for the price but emphasised the problem with the RTL3s), and the low trebble which is splashy as opposed to sweet and articulate - which is the sound I would prefer to hear. I remember hearing a great trebble sound on a pair of Mordant Short MS25s years ago.

I guess my ultimate speakers would have the warmth of 'tubes', the bass-depth and soundstage of the RTL3s with the sweet articulation of the MS25s, and a flat response when used in the average sitting-room. I've been tempted by (but yet to listen to) a pair of PMC FB1s - but at 1400 a pair (ouch) I'll have to put a good case together for the wife! The desciption of them sounds like what I looking for, but we shall see. If I can get closer by doing some (cheap!) mods - I'll try this first!

Thanks for all suggestions you may have.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 23rd November 2003, 07:05 PM   #30

Default Update...

I had the first listening test for my first set of DIY speakers today. I still haven't put any filling in, and so the enclosures aren't sealed properly (screws only), but they sound quite good.

They are *still* impressive at hitting the low notes, which is something I was initially worried about moving from TL to sealed. They also appear to have a flatter response in the bottom end which is great. The midrange is more pronounced than how I remember, and the top end still sounds raspy - expectedly so since the tweeter hasn't been changed.

Still a way to go yet, but what a buzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tdl01.jpg (32.8 KB, 343 views)
"The human mind is so constituted that it colours with its own previous conceptions any new notion that presents itself for acceptance." - J. Wilhelm. (But I still think mine sounds better than yours.)

Hide this!Advertise here!