Voight Pipe Speaker Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, gang... I've got two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood in the garage and I'm itching to build something different. The Voight Pipe seems to be getting some nice comments and it would go well with my "hollow-state" amp. Does anyone have any suggestions as to full-range 8 inch or so drivers that are currently available in the US or Canada that they know would be an excellent choice for such a project? I'd need a URL and a price if possible. I'd sort of like to stay under $150 U.S. if possible for each driver but that is negotiable..

Thanks....:idea:

Part of the idea on this speaker is to eliminate the need for a x-over and to also not worry about driver alignment. I could build it as a 2-way system and bi-amp the thing, which would eliminate the passive x-over, but that moves the complexity further upstream (electronic x-over). I have never built (actually, never even heard) a well designed single driver speaker, let alone one of these Voigt Pipes before. If it works out, it certainly will cost less $$$ than most other higher end speakers and looks to be very easy to build. This will be important if any friends try and talk me into building a set for them. The design is also not something that one tends to see often.

I also intend to eventually build the Proteus MTM; also a well regarded design. It will have x-overs & multiple drivers. A much more conventional design with cool looking ports.

(Thanks for the Jordan info. It looks like a winner. Hard to belive the specs).

Bob
(in Tulsa - but formerly from Tacoma, WA) ;)

The Radio Shack 8" full-range drivers are fantastic to listen to. I have a pair in dipole configuration and they absolutely kick butt. I'm sure they'd work well in voigt pipe too. The new ones with the foam surrounds have pretty good excursion, and thus high max SPLs. Bass reach is surprisingly good. In short, wonderful drivers for the small amount of money. ($20 each, IIRC)

They do need a bit of EQ; I think a large graphic EQ is best, and I don't think you'd need more than 6dB of boost/cut.

Thanks for the info..

I'll have to digest the info that people have provided and then determine which way I'd like to go with "da-pipes". The paper that Martin has on his site is also very interesting (Hilbert Transforms! Instantaneous phase - frequency ! Takes me back to my school days.) I do have a graphic equalizer, an old SE-10 Dynaco that has been tweeked to death. New op amps, capacitors, resistors, PS, etc.

"It's easy to build something complicated. It's much more difficult to build something simple that does the same thing."

Cheers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.