JBL 2235H and Faital HF20AT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• 2235h.JPG
    2235h.JPG
    201.7 KB · Views: 477
  • Faital-HF20AT.JPG
    Faital-HF20AT.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 467
Your crossover point would be fine with a steeper filter. You'll likely want a zoebel on the 2235H and probably a 3rd/4th order electrical. The similarly coned 2226h is what I use and it does like a relatively steep (edit: filter) stopband.

Start with the woofer then get the horn rolled in, but remember always that you need a pretty solid cutoff for any compression drivers.

Last edited:
You can't use factory FR curves to design a crossover. You need to measure the 2235's in their boxes and the Compression driver with your horn positined on top of as part of the speaker enclosure. You are going to need impedance plots as well of the drivers in the box and with the horn. The horns lower cutoff is going to determine where your crossover should be.

Rob:)

Badman, Rob,

I dont have sufficient equipments to do much test/measurements plus don't really know much about how to do this to begin with. I thought 1st order is the simplest design hence trying.

Anyway, I played around with the setup last night and used a 3.0MH choke for the low pass and just a 27uf cap for the high and Highpass filter with CD compensation. The setup sound pretty decent to my tin ears. Will play around with it a little more and tune it with my ears to my liking :D

Using compression drivers/horns sure is complicated things a bit. When i first doing it without the compensation network, i can't stand to listen to it for very long. Now with the setup below, things are a lot more easier on ears, not perfect but very nice. The JBL 2235H sure give a very upbeat sound - nice and powerful low frequency.

Attachments

• schematics-thien.jpg
    schematics-thien.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 332
Try throwing a 10R and 30uF in series, and that in parallel with the woofer (zoebel). You might need to retune the inductor (lower value). You might also consider omitting the RC network on the tweeter, as you're trying to squeeze out the last little bit of top end with that, and a 2" exit CD really shouldn't be tasked with doing 15khz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.