What's wrong with this Selenium D220Ti?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There appears to be something wrong with one of my Selenium D220Ti's. Both are brand new. One of them seems to be defective, but what could be the cause? Attached is a picture of the impedance plots, but the frequency response curves of the two drivers are quite different too.

Attachments

• impedantie Selenium D220Ti samples 1 en 2.jpg
    impedantie Selenium D220Ti samples 1 en 2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 489
There is a high Q resonance of a couple dB's at about 1650 hz in the defective one. I wonder what could be physically wrong with the driver that makes it perform as it does. Are there any compression driver guru's in the house?

The Seleniums look pretty well built and are finished nicely, but you might be right. PE gave me a refund without asking questions:), but what I need is a new tweeter:rolleyes:! Shipping costs are considerable, so it'll go with my next order. Let's hope it'll be a reasonable match this time.

Last edited:
Ik heb met mijn beyma driver ook problemen gehad met grote verschillen.

Ik heb zitten spelen met papieren pakkingen die er in zaten, Dan kon je de spreek spoel 0,1mm of 0,2mm naar boven of beneden verplaatsen dat maakte veel verschil. Mijn conclusie was dat de airgap en voicecoil en koperring heel precies passen in een HF-driver

And what horn are you using maybe you do not ad a good air-load and is there a xmax problem.

Groeten van de guru

There is a high Q resonance of a couple dB's at about 1650 hz in the defective one. I wonder what could be physically wrong with the driver that makes it perform as it does. Are there any compression driver guru's in the house?

Was the measurement consistent? A friend had an altec 802 with strange inconsistent measurements and he found that a lead was touching the diaphragm. Also, the peaks are caused by the horn loading, so look to your mounting situation.

Helmuth, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. As for your second remark: I was measuring at a very low level. Btw, for those couple people on diyaudio.com who do not speak Dutch, you might want to change your post to English ;) .

Ron, the measurement was indeed consistent. Initially I measured the drivers mounted to the Dayton 12" round WG's. Then I wanted to make sure it wasn't due to some misalignment / non-proper loading, and so the measurement results shown in my opening post were of the nude compression drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.