5 way project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter, big boy system - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2011, 09:54 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

True. I would only need one MiniDSP box too I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7 View Post
The ADC-DAC part is not bad, but yes, 5 amps is a bit much. All those cables will ruin your life

You could do passive crossovers for the topmost part though, which will bring it down to 4 amps.

Another way to think about it is to do the bass and midbass section actively and then the top can be passive. That will save you a lot on big inductors and such. Plus, you can EQ to heart's content. The great thing about MiniDSP is on the fly adjustment - measure, adjust, measure... all from your computer.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:21 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7 View Post
True. I would only need one MiniDSP box too I think...
For a 4 way, 2 of the originals or one of the new board.
Old 25th May 2011, 11:37 AM   #33
sannax is offline sannax  Norway
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't passive on top and minidsp in the bottom lead to some delay issues?Reason why i ask is I am planning something similiar myself

Btw: Very nice system speedysteve7!!
Old 25th May 2011, 04:06 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

That is an interesting question - could be nasty / no go.

I fixed the tube amp today and lowered the pads on the mid, upper and tweeter a little so I have a flatter measured response with the mic at ear level. My own ears were telling me the same thing. Bass is better balanced. It's quite a sound stage now. I like it a lot. Still work in progress of course
Old 27th May 2011, 07:57 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Been listening to various music - classical stuff, the mid and upper mid perform as I am used to as I have had those quite a while. The lower registers is where the mid bass and tapped horns are coming to the fore. Complex deep passages are handled quite nicely.
Then on to some Jazz, stuff like Somethin' else, One flight up, and some Piano the likes of Jan Johansson and Keith Jarret. Also tried some electronica - Goldfrapp - the whole room rocks!

I then measured the RH side to compare with LH sid previous measurements.
The RH side measures much flatter tapped to mid bass horn. Need to understand if that is just room variation or driver actual difference or what.

The tube amp blows the T-amp out of the water - no 5 T-amp system for me - I tried just two T-amps once - much prefer the one tube.
+ avoid ADC / DAC.
Old 1st June 2011, 08:57 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Decided I needed to tidy up the crossovers from 3 packs of clipleads and chocboxes (connectors) spread on the floor to boxes that go nicely behind the horn units out of sight.
I rearranged the inductors according to this Placement of coils in crossover networks
Before I just had them as far apart as my 21" X 14" boards / boxes would allow.

It certainly does not sound worse than how I had them before on the floor all haphazard.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:58 PM   #37
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

If a crossover is complex enough, and the twisted connections are deteriorating due to the oils from the fingers that twisted them and they are coming loose and the clip leads are collecting dust and the coils are randomly scattered around the crossover and the solder has been reused without re-tinning, and transported on the iron tip when it has, and the channels are put together using different brands of parts per side, and the coils made up from lots of small coils put together...time to take a breath

Of course there's no guarantee that the difference you hear will actually be for the better. Of course it should. I once tried to recreate a rats nest crossover after fixing it, to recapture a sound (though I couldn't do it).
Old 1st June 2011, 10:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

:-) Tried to avoid the no no's and do the good things...
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:42 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Today's fun was making all the drivers point straight forward (not angle up for the mid bass and down for the mid horn, towards the listening position).
I had already paralleled the mid horn you'll remember.
The mid bass horn required some little angle legs to go on the rear chamber, also added bigger pieces that distribute the weight across the horn.

First listening (something as corny as Robbie Williams - Swing when you are winning (wife likes it!), says that this how it should be. more cohesive sound indeed, mid bass integrates better with mid horn.
I planned to try various positions and angles and this is part of the of learning to use this kit with the room. Problem is to find the time and listen lots and lots...
That's the last time I want to lift the mid horns up onto their stands for a while...
Old 3rd June 2011, 01:39 AM   #40
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

No doubt you have altered their relative interactions with the room, and also changed the listening axis. In the interest of improving both of these you could consider taking polar plots.

Hide this!Advertise here!