5 way project - tapped, bass, mids and tweeter, big boy system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2011, 08:33 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I liked reading this, as it reminded me so closely of the journey I made with horns back when I was living in the house.

I started with Tannoy Gold/HPD 15 in ported boxes, bought some Khorns and whilst I liked them, could hear the defects and started to modify around them until I ended up with something I was happy with, which basically meant no more Khorn parts. I was looking to experiment with conicals before I moved and dismantled it all circa 2003. Like you I ended up 5 way and driven by class A PP tube amps (biggest being 813 based), either passively or with SS xovers and some early pro digital units. It would have been interesting to see where it would have evolved if I'd stayed in a house with a huge room capable of fitting in that system and especially with the design and measurement software and tools available today.
Old 21st May 2011, 08:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the nice complements too. It really boost morale and keeps me going when on the treadmill of madness that is DIY - but we love it too don't we.

Just had the family in listening and we all agreed that the tweeters were a bit aggressive. Quick 3dB pad - ah that is nice. Depends a little on recording of course. Pink Floyd stuff needs all the tweet it can get - not so other stuff.

Now for some BASS
Old 21st May 2011, 08:57 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Yeah I had fun reading your exploits on the great Collaborative tappet horn thread.
I am in love with your avatar pic BTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I liked reading this, as it reminded me so closely of the journey I made with horns back when I was living in the house.

I started with Tannoy Gold/HPD 15 in ported boxes, bought some Khorns and whilst I liked them, could hear the defects and started to modify around them until I ended up with something I was happy with, which basically meant no more Khorn parts. I was looking to experiment with conicals before I moved and dismantled it all circa 2003. Like you I ended up 5 way and driven by class A PP tube amps (biggest being 813 based), either passively or with SS xovers and some early pro digital units. It would have been interesting to see where it would have evolved if I'd stayed in a house with a huge room capable of fitting in that system and especially with the design and measurement software and tools available today.
Old 21st May 2011, 09:24 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7 View Post
Yeah I had fun reading your exploits on the great Collaborative tappet horn thread.
I never ended up building the LAB12 based TH as I moved and the project changed again. My subs back in the big horn system were LABhorns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysteve7 View Post
I am in love with your avatar pic BTW
She is lovely. I have a thing for blonde Russian (OK Ukrainian - close enough) pianists.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:38 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Smile Great

Fantastic work Steve .
Great to see someone pushing the limits .
I'm in the middle of making a four-way system myself ( hoping to assemble the first bass/mid horn today ) so I can understand the effort you've made there .

I think you need a 3 or 4-channel SE amp though - it won't be much bigger than what you have there . The integration and dynamics will improve substantially if you can get the passive components out of the amp/speaker interface .

So, did talking to C.V. have anything to do with you launching into this madness ?
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

4 way nice. Do you already have a tapped horn? I am surprised how good they are!
Please post up about the construction and modelling as you go.

Tapped's do everything they all said about them - makes music with sub tones addictive and takes the pressure off the midbase unit so it can really shine in doing what it needs to do.
I was listening to some lighter bass rock and was surprised how little the tapped where working but what was there was lovely mid bass detail and accuracy.
I remember the ProAc D25 towers I had and thinking they did deep. Really all they did was an ill defined not very deep plunge / rumble. Hard to actually hear a deep bass riff at all. What a difference to this system. The GRF's were miles better but still not in this class. Size matters.

Today I am throating the big mid horns a little more accurately. I did a fairly quick job on them in my rush to try the 2482's out, so a re-visit will put my mid at rest on them.

I am still amazed how easily all these horns integrate and work as unit.

Got some horn'ists coming over today - interesting to see what they make of them.

+ The spanish GP to watch - could Sunday get any better? Yes, a BBQ in the late afternoon / evening & some pop, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandPink View Post
Fantastic work Steve .
Great to see someone pushing the limits .
I'm in the middle of making a four-way system myself ( hoping to assemble the first bass/mid horn today ) so I can understand the effort you've made there .

I think you need a 3 or 4-channel SE amp though - it won't be much bigger than what you have there . The integration and dynamics will improve substantially if you can get the passive components out of the amp/speaker interface .

So, did talking to C.V. have anything to do with you launching into this madness ?
Old 22nd May 2011, 05:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Had some Wammers round ths afternoon.

We did some measurements which showed I need to have a check over the lower crossover. Seems it crossing a bit high and there are a few ups and downs that were not predicted by hornresp. Room or driver variation perhaps. The Zobels are doing something to curtail freq rising but not as much as expected.
One thing I had not done was to reverse the phase of each alternating driverClick the image to open in full size. Needs to be so Mr Coco informed me. Once that was sorted it sounded even better to my ears. Less lumpy in the bass but still as nice and deeeeep.
Horns are just so effortless.

Here's a sweep using Holmimpulse. 1/3 oct smoothed.
Click the image to open in full size.

Need to revisit the throat size in the tapped horn vs the 100Hz peak and see or is it my crossovers?
An open throat (same size as the driver might be the way to go / or somewhere in between.
We tried the mid 2482 horns with no pad on for measurement and according to the mic it's a 11dB pad not a 13dB pad. Real measured vs calc's are never going to be quite the sameClick the image to open in full size.
To be honest for me it is sounding good as is.

Still some way to go but definitely on the right road. Fun and games.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:00 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

There's plenty to do in a project like this, eh ?
You've done all the hard stuff, I reckon, the bass will come good in time.

My own project is mainly on here :
audio-talk :: View topic - Something stirs in the Undergrowth

The tapped horn design is also on here :
Ideas on 35-150(?) HiFi Tapped Horn

Been busy today .
My progress will be slow, don't hold your breath !
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:13 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

As I said over at ZG/now AS forum, 'job done'. Lovely work, Steve.

'Hants/Berks border' eh? - you know , I really would like to hear this if you ever have an 'Open day'!

Cheers,
Felix.
Old 22nd May 2011, 08:39 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Very impressive indeed...!!!

Or as the Engineering Department sometimes says to the Marketing Department: "If you can't hide it........make a feature of it!!!"

Btw, the next step. Ben Duncan did an DIY electronic X-over in HFN/RR many years ago and raved about its application to horn loaded systems. It is definitely on the Net if you want to pursue it... I'll chase it up if you want.

I notice that there is still plenty of room out the back of the house if you ever decide to take this hobby seriously!! Ha ah..

Cheers, Jonathan

Last edited by Jonathan Bright; 22nd May 2011 at 08:45 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!