Ambionics in speaker design? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2011, 06:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ambionics in speaker design?

Anyone familiar with the audio concept of ambionics for improving imaging in conventional multi-driver speaker design? I'd like to know whether the approach has merit.

The parent company of MiniDSP seems to be fostering this technology to improve upon the effects of comb filterning and crosstalk in convential speaker design. In theory, a small digital signal processor is used to alter (expand?) the existing stereo field. Second, the left/right speakers are placed at a 20 to 30 degree angle from the listening position, in an almost side-by-side configuration. The claim is that the resulting image is more precise, with an enlarged sweet spot.

At first read, these concepts often conjure up images of snake oil. However, I have been very impressed with the MiniDSP design team. For me, this adds at least some credibility. If there was anything to this, it might address room interaction issues and set-up possibilities.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this concept.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 19th May 2011, 09:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I believe you mean Ambiophonics:
Try Ambiophonics with your speakers
Home Page

It's not snake oil. It's a different approach to stereo with some tradeoffs - on some recordings it sounds great, though, and many people don't come back to stereo afterwards.

The MiniDSP folks came up with MiniAmbio, a DSP that does Ambiophonics (implements RACE = Recursive Ambiophonics Crosstalk Cancelation).

Search the web for Ambiophonics, you'll get a lot of infos.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I made it for bass guitar, but stereo sound reproduction sounds through it nice as well!
However, I did not use any DSP for stereo reproduction, just some analog signal compensation.

What is the science behind this?
Old 20th May 2011, 12:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
I made it for bass guitar, but stereo sound reproduction sounds through it nice as well!
However, I did not use any DSP for stereo reproduction, just some analog signal compensation.

What is the science behind this?

very cool. did some reading on the technology. i'd like to hear some brian bromberg this way, lol.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I made it to simulate grand piano strings using digital delay lines. Sounds very nice.

The "head" is one more speaker of the same design, but smaller, for rehearsal and studio purpose. It will contain vacuum tube amp as well.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I use it as software application in foobar. Installed for almost a week now, I do not think I return to stereo.
http://www.ambiophonics.org/
Old 20th May 2011, 11:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio-kraut View Post
I use it as software application in foobar. Installed for almost a week now, I do not think I return to stereo.
Home Page

Wow.. so far the responses have been much more positive than I expected. I was having trouble originally finding information because there seem to be multiple spellings for inversions of the same basic concept. I have since found articles for "ambisonics" and "ambiophonics" similar to the link you provided. It seems some of the inversions address an enhancement to 2-channel (180 degrees) while others address 360 degree radiatioon patterns. Bothe technologies employ a matrixed encoding scheme for playback, assuming the original material was recorded traditionally.

Hide this!Advertise here!