Ambionics in speaker design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone familiar with the audio concept of ambionics for improving imaging in conventional multi-driver speaker design? I'd like to know whether the approach has merit.

The parent company of MiniDSP seems to be fostering this technology to improve upon the effects of comb filterning and crosstalk in convential speaker design. In theory, a small digital signal processor is used to alter (expand?) the existing stereo field. Second, the left/right speakers are placed at a 20 to 30 degree angle from the listening position, in an almost side-by-side configuration. The claim is that the resulting image is more precise, with an enlarged sweet spot.

At first read, these concepts often conjure up images of snake oil. However, I have been very impressed with the MiniDSP design team. For me, this adds at least some credibility. If there was anything to this, it might address room interaction issues and set-up possibilities.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this concept.

progress.gif

I believe you mean Ambiophonics:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/36254-try-ambiophonics-your-speakers.html
Home Page

It's not snake oil. It's a different approach to stereo with some tradeoffs - on some recordings it sounds great, though, and many people don't come back to stereo afterwards.

The MiniDSP folks came up with MiniAmbio, a DSP that does Ambiophonics (implements RACE = Recursive Ambiophonics Crosstalk Cancelation).

Search the web for Ambiophonics, you'll get a lot of infos.

I use it as software application in foobar. Installed for almost a week now, I do not think I return to stereo.
Home Page

Wow.. so far the responses have been much more positive than I expected. I was having trouble originally finding information because there seem to be multiple spellings for inversions of the same basic concept. I have since found articles for "ambisonics" and "ambiophonics" similar to the link you provided. It seems some of the inversions address an enhancement to 2-channel (180 degrees) while others address 360 degree radiatioon patterns. Bothe technologies employ a matrixed encoding scheme for playback, assuming the original material was recorded traditionally.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.