tweeter caps on Ariel Mark II

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those of you who have a set of Ariel Mark II's with D2905/9000 tweeters, here's something to think about.

The original crossover plans specify main tweeter cap C1 of 4.7uF to 5uF. (The plans for the D2905/9500 specify 5uF to 5.6uF, I think.) In any case, I'd been using a 4.7uF cap with a tiny cap in parallel with it - probably too tiny to make any difference, but it came with the set. Well, I accidentally broke the wire on one of the small caps. Sure enough, I couldn't tell any difference. But just for the heck of it, I tried adding a couple of .22 caps on each channel, bringing it up to 5.14uF. Big improvement! I think either the caps I had were under spec, or 4.7 is not enough, even if you position yourself right in the sweet spot for listening. I now hear things in the upper midrange that I'm sure the mixing engineers intended to be heard that were too faint before. That's using Radio Shack polyester film caps. I've ordered some presumably better ones.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.