IPL Speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2003, 06:10 PM   #1
leo is offline leo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default IPL Speakers

HI All,
I have a pair of IPL S3tlm Ribbon speakers, I was wondering if anybody else have built these and have any advice on getting the best out of them

Kind Regards,
Leo
Old 12th August 2003, 06:55 PM   #2
stee-b is offline stee-b  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi there leo the speakers are reviewed with a few alterationshttp://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/ipls3mtl2_e.html on TNT audio. HTH a little.
cheers steve
(OT glad it's sunny again!)
Old 12th August 2003, 08:06 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Steve,
I have had a look at the TNT website, my speakers are the same except I use the Ribbon tweeters, I'll try what they suggest but I think mine already has had a couple of turns taken off the inductor.
Yes, we must make the most of this sunshine

Leo
Old 12th August 2003, 10:34 PM   #4
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Nice speakers, I built a pair with a friend, for him (the metal dome tweeter version).

How do you find the sound? - personally I found them ultra-warm and lush, enough to make me feel sleepy, mostly a good thing mind you, with some of the crappy cds about (took my ears off with my system at the time )...

Have you changed the resistors yet? The standard ones, are, well, standard. Audiocom MOX resistors sound better, for a small price.

We used Kimber 4vs wiring, which I believe contributes to the warm, rich sound. What cable do you use? Maybe change it for your normal speaker cable?

Also, my friend wants to change the bass inductor, as the wire gauge is quite small, and I suspect they might sound more punchy(??) with a nice fat air-cored inductor instead. He e-mailed Ivan, who told him to leave it as replacing it would make the sound muddled. I don't really believe this, can anyone shed light on the matter, for all of us?

-Simon

ps, what's the treble like on those fancy tweeters?
Old 13th August 2003, 01:37 AM   #5
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY

Also, my friend wants to change the bass inductor, as the wire gauge is quite small, and I suspect they might sound more punchy(??) with a nice fat air-cored inductor instead. He e-mailed Ivan, who told him to leave it as replacing it would make the sound muddled. I don't really believe this, can anyone shed light on the matter, for all of us?

-Simon

There are a few posts on the forum where people considered upgrading the inductors of their speaker, (not the IPL), only to be warned off it by the designer or people who really know the speaker. In some speakers, the resistance and other characteristics of the cheaper inductor is taken into account when the crossover is designed.

Well, that's the theory anyway.

Apparently you are on more solid ground upgrading the caps.
Old 13th August 2003, 05:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I also find the sound very smooth, but detailed as well, it's mainly the bass that needs sorting out (slow)and not as open as I would like.
I also got chance to compare the Ribbon tweeters against the standard one's, the Ribbons sounded alot better and are well worth the extra cost.
The other problem I have is the value of the X-over parts (finding suitable replacements) the value for the resistor feeding the tweeter is 9.2 ohms (you get a choice between 3 different values,standard power types) and 5uf capacitors(metalised polypropylene,supposed to be the same as Ansar's) one in the bass and one in the trebble.

Leo
Old 13th August 2003, 06:05 AM   #7
zek is offline zek  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I am looking for IPL S4Mk6 speaker kit.
Any comment will be welcome.

Regards
Zek
Old 13th August 2003, 07:43 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanks kelticwizard, I thought resistance might be the main thing.

leo, metalised polypropylene is not the best for x-overs apparently, you may get some good improvement using Maplins 'audiograde' polypropylene, but they will be larger physically. Good value. The ones in my hand, in my avatar, are 8.2uf iirc, and were a dramatic improvement over MKP metalised pp types.

Have fun!

-Simon
Old 13th August 2003, 05:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Simon,
I would like to try the ones from Maplin but they only have 4.7uf (KR82D), Although it may be ok to try them instead of 5uf it's the same with the resistors, I can't find any good ones in 9.2 ohms, the different resistor values I got with the IPL's made a big difference 8R,9.2R (1R, 8.2R in series) and 10R

Leo
Old 13th August 2003, 08:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Leo,

are your caps 5uf ones? If so, I'd have thought the .3uf difference would be ok, and if not you could always add a .33uf in parallel to bring it up to spec, or even more to make the sound brighter(?)

As for resistance, this is probably more detectable, or at least I find it is. I wouldn't want to run too many resistors in series, but you may have to in order to reach the desired treble balance.

One of my last speaker tweaks was to change the tweeter resistor to 1ohm, from 0.82ohm - a small but important difference. I think 1ohm difference is massive for a speaker - maybe you would like to tailor your sound one way or another? That way you wouldn't need exactly 9.2ohms

-Simon

ps- can anyone tell me/us if it's worth changing the parallel capacitor in a 2nd order x-over? (mine is a 33uf electrolytic!)

Hide this!Advertise here!