20X11X11 inch Cabinet for 3 way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
aargh..
well i do understand Your request, and i em aware that atm You do not posses the knowledge to evaluate how difficult is to answer Your question.

Please, i try to help, but in order to do so, first I must ask more questions.
You mention You need no crossover, that is nice, please describe Your system a bit please?
What kind of active x-over You have, and what amplifiers ?
Are You able to change the order of the filter, and crossover point as needed?
if not, what order and freqvency are they set up to?
if not, what is the range You can select?
What is the nominal impedance Your amplifiers are able to drive?
What is the rated power of the amps?
How big is Your room ?
Does the design has to be sealed? (drivers that work in ported boxes are a lot easyer to get)
What is Your budget?
Low freqvency rollof You would like to achieve? (-3dBl point)
Will these speakers be placed right to a wall, or are they going into a corner? (to account BSC more or less.. it influences the dimensioning of a more or less proper box)

as a start answering the above would be more than handy.
You may not be able to answer the questions, in that case i can try to clarify/help getting the answers.

Do notice, when a long time ago i made my first more or less proper(ish.. to be honest) speakers, i had hard time answering those questions.

About the space You have:
Even if the whole volume is used, bass extensions may suffer, depending on driver selection and aligment, and naturaly.. budget.
Probably a 2-way setup with an isobaric 6.5" midbass and a well behaving tweeter might be better. But the budget will tell if we can filde with that part :D

I em sure we can find a set of drivers, but most 8" ones i em familiar with require more space than You have available. The product would be lacking bass.

well, i gues for now if You can answer the questions then we can see what drivers we could choose, and what we could get using them.

hi , here´s a list :
crossover - minidsp 2x8
bass amp - cambridge audio 740a 150w @ 4ohm
mid amp - arcam delta delta 290 ( moded by a friend) 100w @4 ohm
high amp - arcana aureavox 30w tube amp

crossover freq - 350 , 4k

room is 2,5 meters by 5

cabinet may be ported , i only prefer the tightness of sealed

i have this drivers i was hoping i could use :

visaton gf 200

GF200 - Visaton 20 cm (8 inch) High-End woofer with double voice-coil - Europe Audio

Fountek NeoCd3.0

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=1389

midrange scanpeak 10F/8424G00

10F/8424G00 - Scan-Speak 4 inch wideband coated fiberglass - Europe Audio

cabinets will be close to a wall , but not in a corner.

i have a jbl sub e250p subwoofer so low end is not a big problem.

this will be my second set of speakers , i have another set of of speakers with seas Seas L22RN4X/P 8 inch woofer , fountek neo 3 cd and scanpeak 10F/8424G00 , i fited in a cabinet from old jbl speakers

room config

here´s the room config , i cant change it , the squares in blue are the new speakers , one under the bed room.jpg

i.. can see a few problems with this allready.
the viaston drivers are dualvoice coil.
if they are connected paralell, then you have 2 ohm impedance. Your amplifier will not be able to drive that safely. if connected in series.. you will be able to drive them, but the amplifier will not deliver its full power.
well, actualy series connection is what i would advice.
As for the box.
The bass driver is not suitable for sealed application.
Bass refelx is the one to go for.
The room You have, is 20" height , 11" width , 11" depth.
That is 50 cm X 27 cm X 27cm.
This yields a bit over 36 liter volume.
For these woofers You would need least that volume, and it should be nett volume, not including the port, material of cabinet, and driver.
Nother problem is the midrange unit You have selected requires its own chamber.
Around say.. 20 liters would be left for the woofer, so You would loose the bass region.
This is not an ideal setup.

Your choosen midrange units on the otherhand with a bit of compromissum could be used as satellite speakers, if possible see if You can mount 2 small (around 2 liter internal volume) speakers on Your walls, and then we might be able to make a decent bass cabinet using the viaston drivers in isobaric setup. Sadly xover point will be slightly higher for this approach than usual, but i think You can get away with it.

And please, be patient, we all have a life to live other than making forum posts. As example, i can only log in 1 time every day around this time. So I can not answer You in less than 24 hours probably.

You now need to look around if You can use wall mounted small boxes for the midrange (it is a wideband driver, it should handle things to 200 hz or so) and the tweeter in a very small box.
Thatway we can gain some room for a proper bass extension, and i would think this approach would be the better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.