Daniel Hertz Levinson M1 wow

I recently was looking all over for this posting and couldn't find it. Thanks for bringing it back up.

I like the look of these speakers myself. They have a very stoic and powerful look to them. I think that a speaker of this price point would take much more care to limit diffraction however.

What do you guys think about a clone that replaces the TPL150H with a OSWG or SEOS waveguide? I have a feeling that such a design could be quite an improvement but I have never played around with the TPL150H.

I recently was looking all over for this posting and couldn't find it. Thanks for bringing it back up.

I like the look of these speakers myself. They have a very stoic and powerful look to them. I think that a speaker of this price point would take much more care to limit diffraction however.

What do you guys think about a clone that replaces the TPL150H with a OSWG or SEOS waveguide? I have a feeling that such a design could be quite an improvement but I have never played around with the TPL150H.

TPL-150H is a killer! I don't think any compression driver (even TAD, BMS, Radian, you name it...) could sonically be any close to TPL-150H

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

I am surprised that my one question about what brand driver the M1 uses over 2 years after the last post got this thread revived and there seems to be a lot of interest in this again. I guess everyone here likes a 3 cent on the dollar clone of a $100,000 speaker system. Who wouldn't? :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I notice the same thing too. Just because the manufacturer claims the whole speaker is 100 dB efficient people assume the bass drivers are the 100 dB units. They are probably the 97 or 98 dB efficient ribbed paper cones. Close enough to 100 dB? I wonder which model? Although that is not to say if you wanted to build your own better than an m1 clone you can't use 100 dB Nd magnet smooth cone drivers.

Last edited:
The 18" woofer, and 12" midrange, do have ripped cones. So definitively they do not use 12p80nd , and 18p80nd. Probably not even Beyma cone drivers.
Maibe only the horn and horn driver.....
In my view, that is a bad looking elefant speaker, it could be made much better.

, but you are wrong! The 12 is not ribbed is definitely the 12p80nd. All drivers are Beyma and have confirmation from the local Beyma supplier! We can make this thing sound better!!!!

The 18" woofer is unusual.. 4 pleats for the surround and with a ribbed diaphragm. Beyma, no. 18 Sound, no. BMS, no. Eminence, no. etc.. (..though it's entirely possible that it's custom from Eminence or Ciare.)

Also note that the 100db is usually taken from 1 kHz, so that's pretty much only a reference to the 12" mid-bass driver. It's likely that the 18" has it's own eq. for added baffle-step compensation for the mid-bass 12". The 18" could easily be 95db.

Might I suggest an eye exam? ;)

Increasing the resolution to 720p with it full-screen and then look at 32-33 seconds in (where it's actually in focus for a fraction of a second).. VERY closely.

(..they move the camera about defocusing and it blurs the footage - the ribbing is more pronounced on the 18" driver and the compounded effect is a 12" that has the appearance of no ribbing.) :eek:

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Definitely ribbed.
091029-dh-closeup.jpg