Big Boombox

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• IMG_7143.jpg
    IMG_7143.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 498
Cal,

Love your designs and taste in speakers but it gets me in trouble. Had the picture of all those horns etc in your driveway on my monitor, my wife spotted it and started cursing.

I'm not making a suggestion or anything but--those A123 Systems 3.2V 20 amp hour Lithium-Iron-Phosphate cells only weigh about 17 ounces each, can output up to 600 amps and are very small. Four of them with correct battery management system board can be charged with an automotive charger very quickly. They won't explode, have 2,000 cycles to 5,000 cycles and should last about 10 years or so.

Nice battery system for a really big boom box--I'm jus' sayin'... Maybe a nice 4 channel bridgeable car amp with crossover... 6.5" horn sub running ??? mains... :D

Cal,

Your a busy man these days!
Looks like a great project and a BIG boombox, just your style.

Josh

Cheers my friend. I do seem do be a little audio 'horny' these days. That's funny 'cause the wife and I are getting along just fine.

Cal,

Love your designs and taste in speakers but it gets me in trouble. Had the picture of all those horns etc in your driveway on my monitor, my wife spotted it and started cursing.

Mine just shakes her head. They can buy 25 pairs of shoes without batting an eyelash but speakers? Non comprende. Thankfully, the storage area is not where I live. It's a house I have with my brother, so anytime I need a fix I just go there.

I seem to be there often these days. ;)

I'm not making a suggestion or anything but

Thank you for the battery advice 18 but if I find a place that I can't plug into then I think I will absorb the the environment and not worry about sounds other than what nature and the others around are providing.

Cheers.

If I keep looking at your giant horns, I'll have my own house to escape to...when my wife dumps my butt and takes this one. :eek:

My surround sound system is done with my wife's official declaration of "Congrats, it makes noise". :rolleyes: Any future attempts at audio devices shall be stored in the garage--the surround sound stays though.

At least I can go "full Cal" for the man cave system, big, heavy and ugly is a good thing for the garage--don't want it to get stolen. Looking at your horns for the big & heavy part, ugly I've already figured out. Have some really nice automotive amps (Phoenix Gold when they were made in Arizona) Then you start rolling out your really nice designs for "boom boxes"... still have that 10" sub laying around.

Reading Cal's posts are going to cost me money--but less than women's shoes.

I think my driver selection is getting closer.

I am not sure using ribbons in a boombox is the best idea, perhaps something a little better at traveling. I have these rather efficient Wharefdale 5.25 mid basses to cover from 100 Hz and up where the LG's take over. They go plenty high enough to eliminate the tweeters.

So I seem to have the woofer and woofer amp, mids, highs and all the XO stuff I need. Now I need an amp to drive the mid/high part. While I do have some Tascam mini PA amps, I think they are too big so I am asking for help in that department. I know this is diy but I think I better purchase a small amp as I have never done anything diy with amps. To put it simply - I'm not good enough to do it.

I would like you guys to suggest something. Probably a Class D integrated amp as that seems to be good bang for the buck and they come in small packages. I am thinking something around 25 - 100 watts. Any ideas in a pre-made that you think might suit this package? Include links please. Something sold in Canada might be helpful too as customs likes to hang onto anything I order for a while and I wouldn't mind moving on with this.

TIA.

EDIT: I figured out the blurry pic thing. I am using my wife's little pocket camera not my good one. :)

Attachments

• DSC00102.jpg
    DSC00102.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 260
Cal,

You wanting something like the Dayton T-Amp? It is clean to around 30 watts per channel then the distortion rises to 10% at 50 watts. That might be a good thing though, you can hear distortion but it won't be clipping so maybe easier to crank it without damage. It is not a Canadian supplier, I looked at CSS and they don't stock T-amps.

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More!

Agree with your thoughts on the tweeters, boom boxes are for parties, portability and knocking around. Those LG speakers look interesting and can handle heavy clipping much better than a ribbon.

As far as a 4 channel T-amp with crossover included, still sniffing around for one of those.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.