Why do people say they can't hear resistors, or all resistors are the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried about 7 different kinds of resistors of the same value on my tweeter it seemed damn obvious they all sounded and different - and what about the sound had changed. I even accidently used two different (nearly identical) resistors for each tweeter and heard the result as 'something wrong with the stereo field'.

Maybe its because I'm a recording engineer with more trained ears than the average joe I can hear them - but the sheer amount of people that say that resistors don't affect the sound is crazy!

So what is it? Just because they don't have have good hearing or what?

experimental setup, blinding protocol? statistical significance?

how did you get 2 (pairs?) of loudspeakers with drivers matched well enough? - did you use a Harmon style "shuffler" to put them in the exact same place in the room for each trial?

just because you're a recording engineer doesn't mean your uncontrolled subjective impressions have to be given much weight if you ignored all known steps for valid subjective testing

please explain how you conducted these "tests" and why your procedure is resistant to known psychoacoustic and perceptual testing errors
errors

Just shut the dang thread down, right away...

..could be a good option if in fact the op is just trolling

experimental setup, blinding protocol? statistical significance?

how did you get 2 (pairs?) of loudspeakers with drivers matched well enough? - did you use a Harmon style "shuffler" to put them in the exact same place in the room for each trial?

just because you're a recording engineer doesn't mean your uncontrolled subjective impressions have to be given much weight if you ignored all known steps for valid subjective testing

please explain how you conducted these "tests" and why your procedure is resistant to known psychoacoustic and perceptual testing errors
errors

..could be a good option if in fact the op is just trolling

speakers did not move - differences between them? much less than the differences between resistors, apparently. I'm not trying to do a perfectly scientific test with measurements (because speakers are for my EARS not my oscillator lol) but I'm not going to do something stupid like move them around to throw off my hearing.

the same pair or resistors tested multiple times sounded the same- because they were the same

there is a difference. I can hear it clearly. can't others? I mean it only makes sense that things that are different are different. not a troll thread - genuine curiosity

Last edited:
At least with resistors being used at high levels and low values, there's more plausibility. Thermal effects and inductance, for example. Not to say that these uncontrolled listening tests are valid (they aren't), but this is a far cry from stuff like crystals and kilobuck power cords.

I agree, mods please close this down.

Spice- whomever suggested to you that different resistors (quality, tolerance, brand, etc., etc.) don't make an audible difference, I'd suggest you do your venting directly to them. Is there a specific thread you can reference displaying a large part of diyers think resistor quality is mute?

And yes, so many are not graced with good hearing and the clout of being an audio engineer and thusly, are not audiophiles.

Last edited:
a recording engineer should be able to record the differences? - if the differences are there it is hard to imagine they can't be discerned in well done soundfield recordings

but digitizing driver terminal V would have fewer uncertainties

with data various hypothesis could be investigated but EEs do know a fair bit about component behavior and quite a few appropriate resistor type choices can be calculated to give extremely low magnitude response differences

simple frequency response differences from resistor tolerance can be considered "uninteresting"

thermal modulation of properly sized XO R might in principle be big enough to be seen in data - but insignificant compared to driver voice coil self heating

magnetic coupling perhaps?

So let me get this straight.....1/7 resistors changed anything response wise, but you're dumbfounded that other's have potentially arrived @ the same conclusion. Are your opinions purely based on subjective listening tests, to which only a fellow audio engineer could discern? Or have you measured these differences as one audio engineer would/should do? I'm going now....before I get myself in trouble.

Last edited:
Try changing the lead wires of those resistors, those matter, too. ;) See those big buck caps with multi-thread thick lead wires?

And I've also heard that the ordinary PVC insulation of majority of cables suck, big time. The only tolerable type is black - because the carbon black is non-metallic. There're different kinds and proportions of metallic compounds in all other dyes. And all these badly sick insulations are everywhere.

So, next suggested project is changing the insulation of all wires in the system. Transparent teflon tube might be the best (as I've heard, at least). ;)

Oops, how to change the insulation layer of the VC? There'd be the largest proportion in total conductor length. :eek:

So let me get this straight.....1/7 resistors changed anything response wise, but you're dumbfounded that other's have potentially arrived @ the same conclusion......or are your opinions purely subjective listening tests, to which only a fellow audio engineer could discern. I'm going now....before I get myself in trouble.

hahaha well done! they were the same freq response-wise the others were different in how they handled dynamics which adds time into the equation

Try changing the lead wires of those resistors, those matter, too. ;) See those big buck caps with multi-thread thick lead wires?

And I've also heard that the ordinary PVC insulation of majority of cables suck, big time. The only tolerable type is black - because the carbon black is non-metallic. There're different kinds and proportions of metallic compounds in all other dyes. And all these badly sick insulations are everywhere.

So, next suggested project is changing the insulation of all wires in the system. Transparent teflon tube might be the best (as I've heard, at least). ;)

Oops, how to change the insulation layer of the VC? There'd be the largest proportion in total conductor length. :eek:

You're certainly not wrong, if you want to take it even futher use a braided shield on each individual wire! talk about noise rejection

Obviously there is merit to be had, being an audio engineer with more critical ears that can differentiate the subtle differences between resistors. With that said, where is the useful info, is there a suggestion you can make as to which better sounding/quality resistors to use in a tweeter network? Could what you're hearing be a placebo effect, or were the differences highly noticeable?

Obviously there is merit to be had, being an audio engineer with more critical ears that can differentiate the subtle differences between resistors. With that said, where is the useful info, is there a suggestion you can make as to which better sounding/quality resistors to use in a tweeter network? Could what you're hearing be a placebo effect, or were the differences highly noticeable?

They were highly noticeable to me - to my girlfriend... not so much lol. She just knows when lots of little changes add up. My roommate is a professional musician (not the loud blaring kind) and could hear the differences, but could not articulate what they were - but he knew what he liked

My conclusion was certainly not exiting - mills were my favorite, but they were also the most expensive I tried. Metal films were the most technically accurate, but not as pleasant

How you can you find good sounding parts? you have to try them all - there's no other way. I learned this a long time ago w op amps. Different parts sound better in different places

If anyone wants to send me expensive resistors to test I'll be happy to do it :D I might find a new fav. I will actually do a higher $$ shootout at some point now that I've found price makes a difference. Right now I'm restoring + modding my console and designing the new studio so I'm a bit busy

Last edited:

CLS,
I know one well known Hi-End Speaker Company that avoids using black insulated wire because of the carbon content.

Actually, copper braided shielding is the best (not foil) and two layers of it really cut down the nasties. A star quad configuration with gas injected foam insulation is about as good as it gets.

Yeah, how about that voice coil? :D

Best Regards,
TerryO

Obviously there is merit to be had, being an audio engineer with more critical ears that can differentiate the subtle differences between resistors.

My brother in law is also an audio engineer. He doesn't have audio system, nor an audiophile or DIYer, but everytime I ask his opinion about my system (comparison for example), he has always been able to give "accurate" answer without thinking too much or being confused or not sure.

I don't know exactly what he did in recording studio (he only talked about mixing etc), but I'm pretty sure that whenever you practice a lot with listening, day by day you will have the feel for the sound.

I know this because my friends are (mostly) audio friends. They don't know much about theory. They may do foolish things such as coating the resistor with bitumen to see if there will be an improvement. Being foolish, they practice a lot with their ears, so we will never have this kind of debate because we know what we hear. Especially in a blind test, sometimes it is so surprising how everyone came to the same answer without talking to each other.

With that said, where is the useful info, is there a suggestion you can make as to which better sounding/quality resistors to use in a tweeter network? Could what you're hearing be a placebo effect, or were the differences highly noticeable?

You have heard from the original poster about the Mill, or the metal film being the most accurate but not so enjoyable. Yes, there usually is a placebo effect. But try to change all your resistors with Allen Bradley (Carbon Composite), may be you can hear the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.