how do I cure treble harshness/hash - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th April 2011, 11:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how do I cure treble harshness/hash

I have a problem with my two way monitor speakers.

the treble seems a bit harsh and hashy so to speak. How do I set about resolving the issue.

I am using a 40litre speaker cabinet that is reflex loaded with a tube.

The drive units are:

Seas Excel Millenium (tweeter)
Seas W22 EX (bass unit)
I am using Hovland musicap capacitors.

the damping is a combination of the rubber deflex damping sheets opposed by contoured foam.

I am wondering if lambswool will smooth out the sound without making it too woolly.

I also want to say that my tweeters are not soldered to the tabs - they are currently on little electric circuit clips - would soldering have much of an effect.

In addition to all this, my crossovers are in a seperate box from the loudspeaker, and am wondering whther point to point wiring would improve the sound, or would sticking to the PCB be the way to go?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Lohan
Old 29th April 2011, 12:05 AM   #2
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

hard to say
maybe more attenuation will help
but could be caused by xo malfunction
or often is

but try with attenuation

show me your xo, and I will tell you
Old 29th April 2011, 01:13 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What kind of amp are you using.

And yes, solder the tweeters.

Pictures?

dave
Old 29th April 2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loheswaran View Post
I have a problem with my two way monitor speakers.

the treble seems a bit harsh and hashy so to speak. How do I set about resolving the issue.

I am using a 40litre speaker cabinet that is reflex loaded with a tube.

The drive units are:

Seas Excel Millenium (tweeter)
Seas W22 EX (bass unit)
I am using Hovland musicap capacitors.

the damping is a combination of the rubber deflex damping sheets opposed by contoured foam.

I am wondering if lambswool will smooth out the sound without making it too woolly.

I also want to say that my tweeters are not soldered to the tabs - they are currently on little electric circuit clips - would soldering have much of an effect.

In addition to all this, my crossovers are in a seperate box from the loudspeaker, and am wondering whther point to point wiring would improve the sound, or would sticking to the PCB be the way to go?

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Lohan
Speaker of this caliber (expensive) should not sound harsh! I think the crossover is not professionally made. Instead of "fixing" the problem, I think it is better to redesign the crossover if it were not properly made.

I guess that during development, for the woofer to match with the tweeter, it has to be crossed high, so that the magnesium cone resonance become critical. May be it is this cone break up that is not well damped. You have to check where this break up is and check whether the LC-trap already in place and is with correct values.

If, if the problem is with the tweeter (which it should not), if you want to pad down more, you can increase the series resistor, then (re)calculate the parallel resistor to keep the original impedance
Old 29th April 2011, 03:22 AM   #5
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

As for point-to-point or using PCB, I don't think you can hear the difference. Orientation of the coils (one to each other) is more critical.

Soldering the tweeter pads will have no audible effect, but for long term reliability and avoiding bad effect of cheap material clip, better you solder them.

For the damping/stuffing, it will affect the subjective volume of the enclosure, so you have to listen when you need to add and when you need to reduce.
Old 29th April 2011, 04:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Tweeter roll in point set too low frequency can cause harshness by allowing tweeter resonance exitation.
Cure is to shift tweeter xo point higher in frequency, another help is to fit zobel network right at tweeter terminals....be prepared to use higher value polystyrenes paralleled with polypropylenes to make it work right

Eric..
Old 29th April 2011, 09:12 AM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeedback View Post
Tweeter roll in point set too low frequency can........
Eric..
try reversed tweeter polarity
Old 29th April 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Try listening to well-mastered, well recorded, lossless source material.
Old 29th April 2011, 01:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello gentleman

I got the crossover made and designed by wilmslow audio for me - so I assume it was reasonably well done.

I only use vinyl as a source, and my amplifier is a Lavardin IT - which is very clean and smooth, but not cold. My other speakers are YAmaha NS 1000m's, and despite their berrylium mid and tweeter, they are a lot cleaner and have less hash.

I am gonna fish out the schematics of my cross-over, and the loudspeaker enclosure design, and I'll post it asap

Lohan
Old 29th April 2011, 04:26 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loheswaran View Post
my amplifier is a Lavardin IT
Unlikely the amp.

Possibly the nasty brealup of the midbass... no matter hoe well suppressed will still leave an imprint.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!