DIY true to life Horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2011, 05:39 AM   #1
minhaj is offline minhaj  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Default DIY true to life Horn

Last couple of months I have been thinking, thinking and checking web for ideas/solutions for my horn set-up.

IF POSSIBLE TWO WAY, IF NOT, THREE WAY AT BEST

For BASS/MIDBASS I like to build something in the line of:
Chris's Tube Haven (which is cogent true to life bass/midbass horn) with fFostex e206e or Fe206en

Total linelength I can allow is 12 feet, is it possible to have 40/50hz-500hz with Fe206e/Fe206en, if not with some other 8''/10''/12'' driver may be?

My second concern is how high (HF) RADIAN 950PB can reach in a 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn? I feel my present Fe206e with wooden phase plug in 208 sigma cab is little short in HF department. if 950pb is little better than my present fe206e, I will be happy.

OR

I should try

1.40hz-80hz (with tapped horn)
2.80hz-500hz(with L shapped horn)
3.500hz-up (with 950pb in 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn)

ANOTHER QUESTION

Can a 40hz conical/hyperbolic horn is ok for playing back 50Hz bass?

Appreciate your input and suggestion.

Regards
Old 27th April 2011, 05:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Go for Hypex in your basshorn. I wouldnīt go beyond 4-5kHz with the 950 as it would beam. Anyway you will always need something on top with a 2" driver with 4" diaphragm.
Old 27th April 2011, 01:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Lars. Yes I think it is realistic for a 4'' diaphragm driver. Do you think Altec 288 is better for 500hz-10khz (or above)?

Hypex can cover 40-500hz with fe206 given that total lengths is 12' ? Your openion is much appreciated.

Regards
Old 27th April 2011, 01:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hypex is for bass and normaly isnīt used above 100-200Hz. But sometimes up to 400Hz as very few drivers can do it. You can then go for the Radian above. There are people who have used them from 300Hz. Google, I think itīs a French site.
Old 27th April 2011, 07:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Am wondering if anyone has used a small 3 inch Fostex driver to run a wide band mid/hi horn? Something like the horn used in the Klipsch CF-3 which has a driver with a 2 inch diaphragm and a 1 inch exit. The Fostex can get you down to about 200 Hz. and goes well out to 20KHz. Thanks best regards Moray James.
Old 28th April 2011, 04:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

New idea is welcome for DIY. I need encouragement for the build if it is not successful. I walked through DIY path all my life and I know that you do better when you do mistakes. James any thought about the L shaped bass/midbass horn, I need help from all of you.

Regards
Old 28th April 2011, 04:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

By the way, James, which 3'' Fostex your thinking about?
Old 28th April 2011, 06:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I just looked at the small 3 inch Fostex which are pretty low in efficiency so maybe a four inch unit but they are still pretty low in efficiency. Compression loading would raise the number but I don't know by how much. Take a look at this driver https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...roducts_id=268. I am sure this approach has been tried but I cannot direct you to where specifically in a DIY context. The new Klipsch Paladium uses a 4 inch cone (I think) for the mid horn. Sorry but I have no experience to offer regarding the "L" or "J" shaped mid bass horn. Best regards Moray James.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhaj View Post
Last couple of months I have been thinking, thinking and checking web for ideas/solutions for my horn set-up.

IF POSSIBLE TWO WAY, IF NOT, THREE WAY AT BEST

For BASS/MIDBASS I like to build something in the line of:
Chris's Tube Haven (which is cogent true to life bass/midbass horn) with fFostex e206e or Fe206en

Total linelength I can allow is 12 feet, is it possible to have 40/50hz-500hz with Fe206e/Fe206en, if not with some other 8''/10''/12'' driver may be?

My second concern is how high (HF) RADIAN 950PB can reach in a 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn? I feel my present Fe206e with wooden phase plug in 208 sigma cab is little short in HF department. if 950pb is little better than my present fe206e, I will be happy.

OR

I should try

1.40hz-80hz (with tapped horn)
2.80hz-500hz(with L shapped horn)
3.500hz-up (with 950pb in 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn)

ANOTHER QUESTION

Can a 40hz conical/hyperbolic horn is ok for playing back 50Hz bass?

Appreciate your input and suggestion.

Regards
Hi minhaj,

You may be able to make an L-shaped horn that covers from 40-500 Hz, but I don't think it would be practical. Some people claim that bends in horns should be avoided above, say, 250 Hz , and by insisting of having an L-shaped horn cover up to 500 Hz you may end up compromising the most important part of the frequency range that this horn should cover. If it was me, then I would build a pair of tapped horns for the lowest register. You can pretty easy make a tapped horn cover close to two octaves, which means that 40-120 Hz is easely obtained. Such a horn will have much more punch in the bass than a large L-shaped horn driven by an 8" Fostex or equivalent. A (low) mid horn covering from 120 Hz and up to ? can/should be made as a straight horn which will make it sound much better in the mids and still takes up far less space, and is easier to build, than a complicated L-shaped horn.

IF I had the Cogent bass compression driver, then I would maybe consider a large L-shaped horn - otherwise, I would not.

Good luck with the build!

Best regards
Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!