DIY true to life Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last couple of months I have been thinking, thinking and checking web for ideas/solutions for my horn set-up.

IF POSSIBLE TWO WAY, IF NOT, THREE WAY AT BEST

For BASS/MIDBASS I like to build something in the line of:
Chris's Tube Haven (which is cogent true to life bass/midbass horn) with fFostex e206e or Fe206en

Total linelength I can allow is 12 feet, is it possible to have 40/50hz-500hz with Fe206e/Fe206en, if not with some other 8''/10''/12'' driver may be?

My second concern is how high (HF) RADIAN 950PB can reach in a 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn? I feel my present Fe206e with wooden phase plug in 208 sigma cab is little short in HF department. if 950pb is little better than my present fe206e, I will be happy.

OR

I should try

1.40hz-80hz (with tapped horn)
2.80hz-500hz(with L shapped horn)
3.500hz-up (with 950pb in 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn)

ANOTHER QUESTION

Can a 40hz conical/hyperbolic horn is ok for playing back 50Hz bass?

Appreciate your input and suggestion.

Regards

New idea is welcome for DIY. I need encouragement for the build if it is not successful. I walked through DIY path all my life and I know that you do better when you do mistakes. James any thought about the L shaped bass/midbass horn, I need help from all of you.

Regards

I just looked at the small 3 inch Fostex which are pretty low in efficiency so maybe a four inch unit but they are still pretty low in efficiency. Compression loading would raise the number but I don't know by how much. Take a look at this driver https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=131&products_id=268. I am sure this approach has been tried but I cannot direct you to where specifically in a DIY context. The new Klipsch Paladium uses a 4 inch cone (I think) for the mid horn. Sorry but I have no experience to offer regarding the "L" or "J" shaped mid bass horn. Best regards Moray James.

Last couple of months I have been thinking, thinking and checking web for ideas/solutions for my horn set-up.

IF POSSIBLE TWO WAY, IF NOT, THREE WAY AT BEST

For BASS/MIDBASS I like to build something in the line of:
Chris's Tube Haven (which is cogent true to life bass/midbass horn) with fFostex e206e or Fe206en

Total linelength I can allow is 12 feet, is it possible to have 40/50hz-500hz with Fe206e/Fe206en, if not with some other 8''/10''/12'' driver may be?

My second concern is how high (HF) RADIAN 950PB can reach in a 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn? I feel my present Fe206e with wooden phase plug in 208 sigma cab is little short in HF department. if 950pb is little better than my present fe206e, I will be happy.

OR

I should try

1.40hz-80hz (with tapped horn)
2.80hz-500hz(with L shapped horn)
3.500hz-up (with 950pb in 275hz-300hz tractrix/le cleac'h horn)

ANOTHER QUESTION

Can a 40hz conical/hyperbolic horn is ok for playing back 50Hz bass?

Appreciate your input and suggestion.

Regards

Hi minhaj,

You may be able to make an L-shaped horn that covers from 40-500 Hz, but I don't think it would be practical. Some people claim that bends in horns should be avoided above, say, 250 Hz , and by insisting of having an L-shaped horn cover up to 500 Hz you may end up compromising the most important part of the frequency range that this horn should cover. If it was me, then I would build a pair of tapped horns for the lowest register. You can pretty easy make a tapped horn cover close to two octaves, which means that 40-120 Hz is easely obtained. Such a horn will have much more punch in the bass than a large L-shaped horn driven by an 8" Fostex or equivalent. A (low) mid horn covering from 120 Hz and up to ? can/should be made as a straight horn which will make it sound much better in the mids and still takes up far less space, and is easier to build, than a complicated L-shaped horn.

IF I had the Cogent bass compression driver, then I would maybe consider a large L-shaped horn - otherwise, I would not.

Good luck with the build!

Best regards
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.