Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2011, 07:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Crossover

Can anyone help me with this new speaker project I have ?
I want to build some new tower speakers using 2 HiVi B4N 4"copper color cone full ranges the max wattage on each is 30w max an one bullet tweeter about 40w max. My question is what would be the safest crossover wattage to pair with this configuration? i have looked at some 2 ways - mostly 100w. I will be using these as midranges but i would still like to hear some decent bass. I have a sub as well so my deep bass will be present. My receiver Yamaha HTR 5830 100w per channel 5.1 system I don't want to blow out my project any suggestions?
Old 24th April 2011, 09:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

100 watt one will surely not fry.
hooking it up to an off the shlef xover NOT made for Your drivers will have its own effects.

My suggestion would be to post as many specs You can on Your choosen drivers,
and maybe the community can help You to design an xover that will at least work close enough as intended. BTW, probably its cheaper to make Your own xover anyways.
Purchase an "good for any driver" xover usualy ends up in puting that to the waste bin, and building Your own. So You can save time and money, and efforth if You just do not purchase any pre-built thingy.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:02 PM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Look no further than :

Overnight Sensation MTM - undefinition

rgds, sreten.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:13 PM   #4
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

your Yamaha receiver is not rated to drive 4 ohm speakers, so using the MTM's would lead to issues, more distortion and possibly even taking out the power amp and speaker along with it.
Old 25th April 2011, 01:50 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Arty , Sreten & infinia for all of your input]. I will take some time on this. I have to build the cabinets, get all of the parts, etc. I made a set before but used them as loudspeakers. I want them to look good but sound better.
Old 25th April 2011, 08:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

question, does it absolute needs to be MTM ?
reason for this question is simple, usualy one of the less involving solutions to get a decent pair of speakers is the tipical 6.5" midbass and a proper tweeter combo.
Surely a 1-way fullrange is even less of a pain, but that might just cost a bit too mutch.

If You allready got them drivers, and building he linked project, just as it has been pointed out You may run into problems with impedance. On the other hand, i would not worry about that.
More than probably Your reciver has overload protection.
Other than that, the hivi drivers will probably not handle a high input anyways.
So it just means that You will not -probably- turn the volume up to the lvl where You could damage Your equipment.
If You want to be extra safe, You can simply add a regular FUSE , that should protect the amplifier from supplying too high currents.
OR, clumsy, but still a solution is to grab 10 pieces of 10 watt, 40 ohm resistors and wire them in paralell, and wireing this in series to the speakers. Notice, You will be heating away approx. half of the amplifier power in this case, on the resistors. This is a verry last resort option, not an advice to follow.

If You plan on MTM, You need 16 ohm midbass drivers. 4 Ohm can be used too, but it has its own set of problems, paralell connecting 16 ohm rated ones is the preferd solution.
Old 30th April 2011, 02:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
your Yamaha receiver is not rated to drive 4 ohm speakers, so using the MTM's would lead to
issues, more distortion and possibly even taking out the power amp and speaker along with it.
Hi,

Whilst you are correct, on the 6 ohm setting it will work, but there will
be a possibility the receiver goes into shut down mode at high volumes.

IMO unless your really into cranking it, the arrangement will be fine.

But of course Overnight Sensations - undefinition would be
certainly a higher cost vs performance option, better suited.

rgds, sreten.
Old 30th April 2011, 02:48 PM   #8
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

6 ohm setting? Most 8 ohm speakers are really ~6 ohms. and paralleled is approaching 3 ohms in the mid bass frequencies.
Even if you say I'll never crank it, there are times depending on source music, mistakes on selecting inputs with different levels, etc. It's just plain 'bad advice' to recommend a system that uses 3 ohm-ish speakers on under designed ie low current power amps.
It's also very bad practice to depend on "protection modes" on consumer gear to save amps and speakers, the situation is worse on some so called "Hi End" gear.
Old 30th April 2011, 03:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

yes depending on safety circuits is not a good idea.
but these are just 4" drivers, most probably will not be able to handle too mutch power.
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinia View Post
6 ohm setting? Most 8 ohm speakers are really ~6 ohms. and paralleled is approaching 3 ohms in the mid bass frequencies.
Even if you say I'll never crank it, there are times depending on source music, mistakes on selecting inputs with different levels, etc. It's just plain 'bad advice' to recommend a system that uses 3 ohm-ish speakers on under designed ie low current power amps.
It's also very bad practice to depend on "protection modes" on consumer gear to save amps and speakers, the situation is worse on some so called "Hi End" gear.
Hi,

Whilst your opinion may be as valid as mine, please don't present it as fact.

The receiver in question has a 6/8 ohm setting, and the OS MTM is 4 ohms
minimum, looking at the impedance curve a 6 ohm rating is quite plausible,
it will work quite well. It will not blow up or go into premature protection.
Protection is needed for all speakers regardless of impedance in AV gear.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited by sreten; 2nd May 2011 at 07:40 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!