Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2011, 09:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Heil Air Motion Transformers (AMT) .. the best tweeters?

Anyone used these?

Reading rave revues about this type of tweeter, especially the Mark & Daniel models and the ones used by Burmester. Some of them can be crossed over 2nd order and also well into the midrange too.

Could someone explain this entry on wiki about the dipole effect and not being suited to certain cabinets? I don't understand it.

Air Motion Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"While apparently very good as a mid-tweeter or full tweeter, the AMT is not commonly employed as much as one may expect in lower-end speakers. This is due mainly to the AMT's characteristics of a dipole sound radiator, which makes enclosure in traditional speaker cabinets difficult without sacrificing sound quality or employing sound reflex baffles. The AMT can reproduce sound down into the low midrange fully competently, making design decisions regarding crossover points difficult."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg etoner4.jpg (3.0 KB, 936 views)

Last edited by Bill poster; 23rd April 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 23rd April 2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Dansk is offline Dansk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I believe it refers to the effect of sending soundwaves in both directions, also known from ordinary drivers. Contrary to ordinary drivers the membrane of Heils isn't stiff, and therefore must be more sensitive to the distortion from the reflected soundwaves inside the cabinet.
Old 23rd April 2011, 10:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I am currently modifying a standard 4-way Danish louadspeaker from Audiovector with an ELAC heil tweeter. I think it is an outstanding fast tweeter, but when I measure it, it rolls off around 2800 hz, so nowhere near lower mid-band. But this is a little tweeter compared to the size of the AMT, which is proposed to be used down to 1500 hz... I am fully satisfied with the sound but this one demands a very high quality mid-band driver. So I have changed the standard Peerless HDS with a SEAS Excel. -And I will do the same for the woofer...
Old 24th April 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

These are the ones I'm looking at - pretty good price imo

Heil Air Motion Transformer Drivers to be Available for DIY - AudioJunkies
Old 24th April 2011, 10:20 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

just had a reply back from Mark & Daniel, they are not selling their drivers to 'third parties'.. boo. I think they shd update their website to make it clear (and remove the virus that infected my PC)
Old 24th April 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Jonasz is offline Jonasz  Sweden
diyAudio Member

That's strange, I have a pair of DM-4 laying on the shelf...

Maybe you should look at the Eton ER4 instead, the M&D driver is one of those drivers people rave about when listening to them in systems but they don't measure so good by themselves. I haven't hooked my pair up yet but they sure sound good in the M&D systems I've heard.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:20 PM   #7
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill poster View Post
just had a reply back from Mark & Daniel, they are not selling their drivers to 'third parties'.. boo. I think they shd update their website to make it clear (and remove the virus that infected my PC)
Yeah - be careful about visiting their website - my anti-virus software blocked them from loading photo's. Every time I went to a new page Norton blocked the photo and warned me that I had just been attacked!!!!
Old 24th April 2011, 01:23 PM   #8
asbjbo is offline asbjbo  Norway
diyAudio Member

Lots of info about AMTs in this thread, especially the Beyma TPL150:
My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150
Old 24th April 2011, 02:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I kind of wonder about Zaph having "expressed some interest..." Here's a brief snippet:

"Lets start with the good: non-linear distortion is decent and these tweeters do indeed work very low. A steep 900 or 1000 Hz crossover would be fine.

Now for the bad news: everthing else about these tweeters was horrible."

Zaph|Audio
Old 24th April 2011, 03:08 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apfelsauce View Post
I kind of wonder about Zaph having "expressed some interest..." Here's a brief snippet:

"Lets start with the good: non-linear distortion is decent and these tweeters do indeed work very low. A steep 900 or 1000 Hz crossover would be fine.

Now for the bad news: everthing else about these tweeters was horrible."

Zaph|Audio
Yeah, those particular Mark and Daniel were pretty bad, huh? The Beyma TPL are a different story though. See my build here:

HTGuide Forum - Lambda TD12's + AMT monitors

I would say that I prefer the larger Raal though. Can't cross as low, but much better resolution and just sounds so right and effortless.

HTGuide Forum - Raal, Neo 10 open baffle

Greg

Hide this!Advertise here!