Active high dynamics/SPL & high performance loudspeaker system for my living room…! - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2012, 07:38 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Have you tried constant directivity speakers?
you could install thick carpet in your room that would add some damping.

Great speakers though, red is far cooler than the usual black.
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:24 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Hi Robert. Excellent project!

Comparing the manufacturer's spec to your own measurement of this driver, there seems to be a discrepancy up above 10kHz: their plot is flat, while yours has a dip. I find that equalising such deviations can introduce problems, rather than solve them. DSP tools are very powerful, but one can over-compensate or, rather, mis-compensate.

My suggestion: do some off-axis measurements and see whether that dip also exists off axis. Alternatively, try smoothing your measurement to 1/3 octave before applying equalisation.

I find that exercising constraint when equalising the tweeter yields good results, usually.
Hi Shaun,

Have a look at the attached - Why do you think it's good enough to overlook peaks just because the manufacturer only measure to 20kHz and smooth the "rest". Normally I would say that you have to look to the "break ups" (= heavy distortion) in the upper range of a driver - will normally give some problems further down in the frequency range if not dealt with.

Do any of you diyAudio members have any measurements of the TPL-150H? Also about 20kHz !

I actually sit on-axis and in the setup the peaks are minimized with a few PEQ to avoid any disturbances. I have to say that the sound isn't at all bad - and I will probably be able to tweak / fine tune the sound 20-30% more improvement.

@ kipman 725
Thanks
NO - I haven't tried constant directivity speakers.
The room is a big room combining living room, dining room, small office space and kitchen - very nice for family activities but not for very high SPL listening levels and I doubt that a carpet will do the trick in this case.
I have a smaller dedicated listening room in conjunction with the electronics workshop and it very very good for listening, but it will not accommodate the High Dynamics system.

I will tweak the system over the summer and see if it does the trick - so that I will keep the system. Otherwise I have the excellent ScanSpeak towers that I can upgrade to perform maybe even better... One thing is for sure, I will never be able to exploit the full dynamics of the current system.

Robert GS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TPL150H measurements.jpg (186.9 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg HighDynamics_response.jpg (113.6 KB, 408 views)
Old 3rd June 2012, 09:55 PM   #63
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

If I look at the projects here Hi-End and Hi-Eff loudspeakers system 2 and here Acoustic Elegance • View topic - TD15H + Beyma TPL-150 2-Way Build, it does indeed look like the manufacturer has published very optimistic curves for the driver.

And no, am not saying to accept the manufacturer's data. It is always better to measure. I still suggest, though, that you give it a shot with minimal HF equalisation. Should be easy enough with the tools at hand.
Old 29th June 2012, 11:08 AM   #64
Busk is offline Busk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have just visited Mr. Gs an heard this system, and I want one :-)
Old 1st July 2012, 06:48 AM   #65
diyAudio Member

heres my measurements of a tpl TPL-150H its flat all the way down to 1k hz the pic is with xo in place no eq. almost +/- 1db 1/24th

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by momomo67890; 1st July 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 1st July 2012, 11:23 AM   #66
Scott L is offline Scott L  United States
diyAudio Member

Default response curve

Greetings,

That response curve you posted is similar (but not exactly the same) as to
the Stage Accompany SA 8535. The two drivers resemble each other. I said to myself if I ever lost the SA's, I'd consider the Beyma.

What I did (to tame that very mild peak) was use an in-line single high quality cap, but of course to still use an active crossover. Of course as low as the OP is crossing, a notch should be in better order than a rolloff cap. Then again, that slight variable in response in the over all system may not be bothersome at all.
Old 1st July 2012, 06:35 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

that is my measurement of the Beyma TPL-150 with wave guide, on axis, at 1m distance :

AV Eikon : finished - Page 2 - Audio Voice Acoustics

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 16th November 2012, 05:26 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

I have noticed a few comments about the frequency response plot on the TPL150H datasheet being optimistically flat. IMO, it looks flat because of the scale of the sensitivity axis being from 20dB to 120dB. If the axis was from 80dB to 120dB, I think the curve would be as jagged as the ones posted in this thread.
Old 29th December 2012, 07:50 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Really a nice setup Robert, looks like it sounds worth to be heard!
Old 29th December 2012, 10:53 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
I have noticed a few comments about the frequency response plot on the TPL150H datasheet being optimistically flat. IMO, it looks flat because of the scale of the sensitivity axis being from 20dB to 120dB. If the axis was from 80dB to 120dB, I think the curve would be as jagged as the ones posted in this thread.

in my room with no correction it was +/- 2.5db.

Hide this!Advertise here!