Active high dynamics/SPL & high performance loudspeaker system for my living room…!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bet it does! I would love to hear it.

How do the new pro drivers compare to you old scanspeak drivers?

First impressions is that the horn is way better than the ScanSpeak dome and I also expected this as I tested a set of Mundorf AMT earlier - just putting the AMT on top of a speaker also with ScanSpeak dome in the original speaker. Second most significant impression is the bass extend - it is enormous and very physical... not really surprising now that I am using dual 18" drivers and very big boxes. It really performs effortless.

The overall headroom makes the system capable of larger dynamic range without changing tonal balance and without increased distortion - at the moment the limiting factor is the things that didn't rattle with the ScanSpeak boxes, but now they do :eek:

My concerns of the midrange drivers are none existing any more - 18Sound 6NMB420 performs beautiful in this configuration and I have the option to cross them between 300Hz and 500Hz to the Sica 10" drivers. The Sica driver will never be overloaded in this configuration and I also have a wide crossover region to the sub - 60Hz to 100Hz or even more. :D

Impressive clarity - d... nice
F...... massive reproduction

Sorry for my languish, but I am overwhelmed by the qualities....
I hate self praise :mad:
but I have made a good combination here :D

@PK - you are right about the Beyma TPL-150H - it is an excellent driver :)

Hi Robert,

Good to hear that you are satisfied with the results. The speakers sure look nice! And yes, the Beyma TPL-150H is excellent - I wish they made a GIANT version of this drivers loading down to 500 Hz or so.....

Best regards
Peter

Hi Robert,

Good to hear that you are satisfied with the results. The speakers sure look nice! And yes, the Beyma TPL-150H is excellent - I wish they made a GIANT version of this drivers loading down to 500 Hz or so.....

Best regards
Peter

Just fill-in 2 x 18sound 6NMB420 like I have done - you can't hear the transition - it's very smooth here.
You have to pay me a visit some day ;)

@ Peter - if you wait to June or July I am sure the system is finished by then. I have to concentrate on the High End Show in Munich from now on - so no more real fun till after the show.

Thanks Dan - I can give you the recipe if you like :D

Hi Robert,

No need to hurry! But next time I will get to "Nordsjælland" I may give you a call to see whether a brief visit fits into your plans. It would be fun! Good luck to you at the High End Show in Munich!

Best regards
Peter

A little update of my project

– both subs finished, but there is still chaos in my living room….

HighDynamics_RawSystem.jpg

@ CCU - just like pk you are welcome to come and listen when the system has the final paint and tuning

Wonder if it won't be optimal to work with the slant of the roof, I.e. the speakers on the low side, but then you might have to get a blind for the windows to watch TV in the day, and its such a nice light room.

When I speak of limitation - I mean how much the room can absorb...
The system sounds extremely nice until I turn the volume too high - we are not talking low or "normal" levels here, but on the other hand not full power either.
The room is just above 70 sqm with an average height of over 2,3m. It seems to me that the room should be overdamped to be able to handle the SPL that the speaker system is capable of... :eek:
I have to look into this in the future, but the solution also has to be acceptable to the eye ;)

Well – I have been exhibiting at the High End Show in Munich and now I just try to keep up - so not much going on, but work…

HighEndShow2011_4.jpg

- Although I have been thinking a lot about damping my living room. :D
I have come across the Danish manufactured Troldtekt panels and I am seriously considering putting these absorbers on the ceiling. BUT at the moment there isn’t time for much FUN ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.