Line Arrays. Are they superior to point source?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2003, 12:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Line Arrays. Are they superior to point source??

I am using line arrays for quite some time. I recently tried to go back to pointsource. I find the instruments and the singers to be in miniture. Is this observation valid? I find it hard to listen to point source now. TIA

Lito
Old 8th August 2003, 01:37 PM   #2
7V is offline 7V  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Line Arrays. Are they superior to point source??

Quote:
Originally posted by Lito
I am using line arrays for quite some time. I recently tried to go back to pointsource. I find the instruments and the singers to be in miniture. Is this observation valid? I find it hard to listen to point source now.
All observation is valid, Lito.

I think it's right to say that all speaker design involves some compromise and it's how you 'cut the cake' that counts. There are almost as many opinions as there are different designs.

As for whether line arrays are superior to point source, it depends who you ask.
Old 8th August 2003, 05:32 PM   #3
Ian J is offline Ian J  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey Steve, love your ebay thing - cost effective advertisiing?
Steve's ebay thing
Old 8th August 2003, 05:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian J
Hey Steve, love your ebay thing - cost effective advertisiing?
Steve's ebay thing
Thanks Ian. And I thought that no one had noticed.

Yes, it seems to be bringing visitors to my site and also has been picked up by a couple of forums that I hadn't even heard of. So I guess it's helping to publicize my design. It's costing me a few bob in tissues though.

The next ad-auction that I have planned is more outrageous. Watch out for it.

and now, to return to the line array question ...

... anybody?
Old 8th August 2003, 05:50 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by 7V
...and now, to return to the line array question ...
Well, I'm going to sit well and truly on the fence!

It really depends what you want from your speaker, if controlled dispersion for maximising SPL and minimising room effect is your bag then go for a line array. If you want precise stereo positioning, with a much larger sweet spot, and a more cohesive sound, then go for a point source.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th August 2003, 06:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkmouse

If you want precise stereo positioning, with a much larger sweet spot, and a more cohesive sound, then go for a point source.
There are a lot of acoustics professionals out there who argue that because sound pressure from a line array falls of at 1/r rather than 1/r^2, that a line array has a larger sweetspot--Dave Griesinger from Lexicon for one. The reasoning is that if you are off center, the pressure difference between the two speakers will be less with a line array than with a point source.

There is a lot to like about line arrays--potential for very low distortion being among them. My next project will be a line-array horn. Of course at the rate I am going with the current project, that could be in the year 2020.

John
Old 8th August 2003, 06:44 PM   #7
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default Arena

Line arrays are great in an arena.
The smallest I have seen, namely OHM's Lunarray takes 30 metres to listen to properly.
In home, long ribbons can give the true line source taste.
Dramatic scale, forwardness, pristine feel. Larger than life IMHO.
Old 8th August 2003, 07:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by hancock
There are a lot of acoustics professionals out there who argue that because sound pressure from a line array falls of at 1/r rather than 1/r^2, that a line array has a larger sweetspot.
Interesting, do you have any references?

Quote:
...Of course at the rate I am going with the current project, that could be in the year 2020.
I know the feeling.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 8th August 2003, 07:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Near Field Line Array White Paper Reference

Click the image to open in full size. Near Field Line Array White Paper

You might checkout my near field line array white paper which discusses some of the advantages of near field line arrays. The sound fall off versus doubling of distance from a near field array is half the rate (1/r) versus the fall off rate (1/r*2) from point source speakers. hence, within a room the sound volume is nearly constant.

The sweet spot of a near field line array (when properly designed) is significantly larger than from point source speakers. Some people may miss that pin point head-in-a-vise sweet spot expereince from point sources but I don't.

Salas must be listening to Bessel arrays or far field array speakers to suggest that line arrays don't pass muster in a home. Near field arrays work very nicely in a home.

Jim
Old 8th August 2003, 07:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ted Jordan once demonstrated a mini line array to me and he angled the speakers so that they crossed in front of the listening area (sofa). There was an excellent stereo image over a wide lateral distance.

Having lived with mini arrays I tend to prefer them with a more conventional toe-in. There are advantages to mini line arrays. The imaging is excellent (although some of this is due to a crossover-less design). In addition they are less influenced by reflections off the floor and ceiling than point source speakers.

Mini line arrays - best of both worlds?

Hide this!Advertise here!