Line Arrays. Are they superior to point source??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lito said:
I am using line arrays for quite some time. I recently tried to go back to pointsource. I find the instruments and the singers to be in miniture. Is this observation valid? I find it hard to listen to point source now.
All observation is valid, Lito.

I think it's right to say that all speaker design involves some compromise and it's how you 'cut the cake' that counts. There are almost as many opinions as there are different designs.

As for whether line arrays are superior to point source, it depends who you ask.

Ian J said:
Hey Steve, love your ebay thing - cost effective advertisiing?
Steve's ebay thing
Thanks Ian. And I thought that no one had noticed. :blush:

Yes, it seems to be bringing visitors to my site and also has been picked up by a couple of forums that I hadn't even heard of. So I guess it's helping to publicize my design. It's costing me a few bob in tissues though.

The next ad-auction that I have planned is more outrageous. Watch out for it.

and now, to return to the line array question ...

... anybody?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
7V said:
...and now, to return to the line array question ...

Well, I'm going to sit well and truly on the fence!

It really depends what you want from your speaker, if controlled dispersion for maximising SPL and minimising room effect is your bag then go for a line array. If you want precise stereo positioning, with a much larger sweet spot, and a more cohesive sound, then go for a point source. ;)

pinkmouse said:

If you want precise stereo positioning, with a much larger sweet spot, and a more cohesive sound, then go for a point source. ;)

There are a lot of acoustics professionals out there who argue that because sound pressure from a line array falls of at 1/r rather than 1/r^2, that a line array has a larger sweetspot--Dave Griesinger from Lexicon for one. The reasoning is that if you are off center, the pressure difference between the two speakers will be less with a line array than with a point source.

There is a lot to like about line arrays--potential for very low distortion being among them. My next project will be a line-array horn. Of course at the rate I am going with the current project, that could be in the year 2020.

John

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Arena

Line arrays are great in an arena.
The smallest I have seen, namely OHM's Lunarray takes 30 metres to listen to properly.
In home, long ribbons can give the true line source taste.
Dramatic scale, forwardness, pristine feel. Larger than life IMHO.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
hancock said:
There are a lot of acoustics professionals out there who argue that because sound pressure from a line array falls of at 1/r rather than 1/r^2, that a line array has a larger sweetspot.

Interesting, do you have any references?

...Of course at the rate I am going with the current project, that could be in the year 2020.

I know the feeling. ;)

Near Field Line Array White Paper Reference

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Near Field Line Array White Paper

You might checkout my near field line array white paper which discusses some of the advantages of near field line arrays. The sound fall off versus doubling of distance from a near field array is half the rate (1/r) versus the fall off rate (1/r*2) from point source speakers. hence, within a room the sound volume is nearly constant.

The sweet spot of a near field line array (when properly designed) is significantly larger than from point source speakers. Some people may miss that pin point head-in-a-vise sweet spot expereince from point sources but I don't.

Salas must be listening to Bessel arrays or far field array speakers to suggest that line arrays don't pass muster in a home. Near field arrays work very nicely in a home.

Jim

Ted Jordan once demonstrated a mini line array to me and he angled the speakers so that they crossed in front of the listening area (sofa). There was an excellent stereo image over a wide lateral distance.

Having lived with mini arrays I tend to prefer them with a more conventional toe-in. There are advantages to mini line arrays. The imaging is excellent (although some of this is due to a crossover-less design). In addition they are less influenced by reflections off the floor and ceiling than point source speakers.

Mini line arrays - best of both worlds?

Having switched back and forth between point source and line arrays over the past few months, my conclusion is... they're different. I'd have trouble saying one is "superior" to the other, they're just... different. Maybe even more so because the line source I'm using is a dipole. And both sound different than live music. I'd love to try some omnis, and love even more to try a proper surround system.

PM, some interesting measurements of the different power laws between point and line sources appear in d'Appolito's book. It's evident from these measurements that mixing lines and points is bound to cause frustration.

Ummm, Wellllllllllll

Ever since I have been interested in horns, I have kept trying to conceptualize a residential line array composed of horns.

But I keep getting all choked up about it - the mere thought overwhelms me with the anticipated emotion of the music.

I need a box of those tissues _big grin_

Ken L

LIne Arrays at Large Distances

Amo said:

"If you get far enough away from your sagement arrays, they too become point sources"

That is true as all speakers radiate in the near field (generally at a distance equal to the dimension of the aperture) and in the far field. Most normal speakers operate in the far field as they do not extend their near field radiation more than a few inches.

As I discuss in my Near Field Line Array White Paper (see link in previous post in this thread), you can compute the near/far field transition distance. This is also known as the critical distance wherein the radiation goes from predominantly direct sound (near field) to a mixture of direct and reverberbant sound (far field). Near field arrays can cover a normal home listening area entirely within their near field.

Pro Sound line arrays operate in both near and far fields as the audience nearest the stage is in the near field and the audience in the cheap seats is in the far field.

Jim

Some people believe that your line source must be from
ground to ceiling in a home, otherwise it's not a true line array.

I'm planning my mini-line source of four drivers per channel.
I still call it a line source, but it nowhere hits ground nor ceiling.

Where do you draw the line on calling it a line array?

SY said:
Your headphones won't have a 1/r dropoff with distance, smart alec!

It might if you have really big ears

Attachments

• ears.jpeg
    ears.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 845
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.